Dual 2.3 PowerMac G5 Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tpmidd, Aug 4, 2009.

1. tpmidd macrumors member

tpmidd

I'm currently in the market to replace my aging Mac Mini with a Dual 2.3 PowerMac G5 for a great price from someone local. I'm wondering:

a) How well are these machines running?
    b) Is spending 700-800 on a PPC machine worth it at this point?
    c) Would it be more advisable to bite the bullet and spend $1100 on a new macbook?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've got a unique opportunity to get a good deal but I'm not sure how well the PPC's are going to hold up.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Keep in mind that G5 will not run Snow Leopard. However, it will handle Leopard fine.

Is it worth it? You tell me. What do you do with your machines? Is this just so you can have a power mac or do you need it for a reason?

3. tpmidd thread starter macrumors member

tpmidd

Well I do the normal web browsing, email, document creation etc. But lately I've been trying to do some more photo editing / manipulation etc. after buying a new camera, and the mini really bogs down switching from picture to picture, etc. and anything with a lot of video it's awful. I tend to multi task alot and keep most programs often, which doesn't help the mini. I want a powermac because I've had a mini, an old ibook, and an eMac and need a more powerful pro level machine.

Was it confirmed that Snow Leopard does not support PPC, I might have missed that.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Was it confirmed? Seriously? Yes, it was confirmed. Steve Jobs gave a keynote and that was one of the many ways it was confirmed. No offense but any thread on this site about SL will tell you this. I would make stuff up but this isn't something I made up. ;)

How truly unhelpful linking to your auction.

5. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

It is not my auction