Dual 24" ACD Displays possible with Late '09 15" MB Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, May 17, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm wondering if it's possible and if so how to hook up two 24" ACD monitors to my MacBook Pro.

Thanks.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The only way you can hook up 2 external monitors is by using a USB-Based external video solution, and I am not aware of one that is compatible with the 24" ACD. AFAIK, you will only be able to hook up a single ACD to your MacBook Pro.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

hmmm, I called the Apple store and the rep said it was no problem ... a $19.99 Y-adapter ... although looking on the Apple website I don't see anything that looks like it would work?

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

the late 2008 can drive dual 30's ( im pretty sure) so dual 24 should be no big thing

5. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Not on the Macbook Pro. Technically, you can run one 30." However, with the crappiness of Apples Dual Link DVI adapter good luck with that.

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Technically it should be possible - but currently there isn't an adapter to allow you to do this.

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I called the Apple Toll Free number on Saturday and talked to a Rep who said it's possible to connect two 24" ACD's to the MBP. A Y-adapter was needed, cost was $29.99.

She was ready to take the order for the adapter and another monitor. I didn't order it as I wasn't completely sold on here answer after reading here first. Also I can't find 'said part' on the Apple Website.

Could the Apple Rep of been wrong ... OR .... can I actually hook up two 24" ACD's to my MacBook Pro?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry man you got lied to.

Since you have the cash to invest in two ACD's (which is rich IMO) i'll draw up the solution that will allow you to run two 24 inchers. Warning: It ain't cheap.

You'll need one of these to give you access to a pci express slot from you expresscard slot. ($749)

Then you'll need this to drive the extra ACD. ($149)
    I believe this is a single height card and should fit into the expressbox, but don't quote me on it. It that won't fit you'll have to opt for the more expensive expressbox^2 which is $2000

9. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Since Late 2009 is still to come, I assume you mean Late 2008 or Early 2009. Either way, it's a Unibody MacBook Pro which only has one Micro DisplayPort.

Using the most recent 24" LED ACDs would be impossible as it stands right now. They use Micro DisplayPorts to receive their video signal and there is only one Micro DisplayPort on the MacBook Pro. No Y adapter exists for the Micro DisplayPort yet.

Apple sells a Micro DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter which would work for DVI connecting ACDs.
    This is how:

The Micro DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI => Y-Splitter to divide the dual-link DVI output into two separate DVI single-link connections which will drive each 24" ACD.

Again, the Unibody (Late 2008/Early 2009) MacBook Pro cannot yet drive two 24" LED ACDs.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There is no micro displayport. Only micro dvi.

11. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

He means mini displayport.

12. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure it wasn't mini vga? ;) there are just too many of these "mini" adapters.

13. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Wow, you should call back and order the adapter and let us know.

While I'm guessing it will be possible via a Y adapter in the future - we don't know of one that is currently out.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I find that half the time they don't know what they're talking about; I asked them if their dual-link DVI adaper supported HDCP or not, but instead the answer I got was go to monoprice and buy a HDMI cable.

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I would guess that with some sort of Y adapter you could attach two displays, however you would get the same image on both displays. Think of an audio Y adapter, you get the same sound on both displays.

I have seen solutions with the express card slot, but they aren't cheap and they don't offer full resolution.

If you want two displays, you use the one on your MBP and the other external attached to it.

Or, you buy a Mac Pro, iMac, or even the new Mac mini. Actually, the Mac mini may be your best solution as far as getting two displays to work but it cannot be two 24" ACDs. As it only has one mini display port. If you want two 24" LED backlit ACDs, your only choice is the Mac Pro with TWO GRAPHICS CARDS. Any current solution has one mini display port per card. On the other hand, you could connect up to eight 30" ACDs to a Mac Pro Early 2009 with 4 graphics cards.

Good luck.

16. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Technically with DisplayPort you can daisy-chain displays. However the 24" ACD does not seem to allow that.