Dual 24" ACD to 4870

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by A&JGoatie, Mar 13, 2010.

1. A&JGoatie macrumors newbie

Hi all, I just picked up a second 24" ACD with the mini display port. I already have one, so the mini display port on my 4870 is in use. So I think I need an adaptor to go from the MDP on the second display to the DVI on the 4870.

However, this adaptor has a male MDP and a female DVI. The ACD has a male MDP, so I think I need an adaptor which is a female MDP and a female DVI. Is this true?

Where can I get this?

I find it a little strange that it is so difficult to put two identical monitors on the Mac Pro. I apologize in advance, I did search the forums, but kept getting hits for the above adaptor and I am not sure how it would work.

Thanks everyone!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems (after searching myself), that there is no DVI to mini DisplayPort adapter, thus you need a second mini DisplayPort capable graphic card.

Search was done via Monoprice, MRoogle and that Google thing.

Even if it would work, the performance of one graphic card driving two 1920 x 1200 pixel displays might be lousy.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Actually there are some adapters, all of them are pretty pricy.
    E.g.: Atlona DualLink DVI - miniDP

Time to re-think your search strategy. ;)

A single card can drive two 2560x1600 displays without any issues.
    However, considering the adapter prices, a second graphics card might be cheaper.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, yes. I only used Monoprice.com, that's why I didn't found it.

Hmm, use more Google, use more Google, use more Google.

But those adapters are really pricey, but the 4870 costs 350USD at the Apple Store, so that option might be cheaper.

Now Aunt Irma visits.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

To get another miniDP card in the Pro, the 4870 is no option since the OP already has one.
    The MacPro does not support another 4870 without modifications (power), hence the only possible solution would be to get a GT120.

6. A&JGoatie thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I get the 4870, I also need to get the 6 pin Y for power supply to the card as well, right?

Gah! If only I had gotten the 30" ACD, all this wouldn't be a problem.

7. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps this would help....

But I agree you'd be better off by getting a 2nd card - a GT120 for ca. 150 usd - so you don't have to do any power cable adaptations. Not because of any performance issues - my 4870 can drive two HP 24" displays (1920x1200 each) without any problems... but because these adapter boxes are too expensive.

cheers!

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

To get power for another 4870, you'd need to access the power source for the optical bay, which is not recommend due to the power consumption of the card.
    The better option would be an external power supply for that card.

9. A&JGoatie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, i will buy the second card!

I appreciate it.

10. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

You mean for a 2nd 4870 card - too complicated. The best option is to get the GT120 as a 2nd card... no power issues, and you get the possibility to drive a 3rd and 4th displays if you ever need to.

11. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Of course it is complicated and not very convenient, the only option though if the OP wants to get another 4870 (why ever). To simply get another miniDP card for extra monitors the GT120 is certainly the best option.

12. A&JGoatie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I will get the second 120 card in lieu of the adaptor. That's what I meant to say. Yea I am not interested in the 4870. Thanks so much for your help!

13. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

If you use bootcamp and windows you may want to do some reading and make sure that your not going to run into issues using 2 different cards in windows. I know you wont have any problems with OSX.

14. 3282868 macrumors 603