Dual 24" Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr Swears, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Dr Swears macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing the new mac pro with dual displays, but all I hear is that the cord is too short (42") for where they want to put the tower eg. under the table.

Do the cables reach if you have both displays next to each other with the tower right up next to them on the desk? Or is it impossible to do without the mythical extension cable?

P.S. I am sorry if this has been threaded before but all i read about is do they make an extension or not!

Cheers:)

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I personally don't understand what Apple's trying to market the displays as.

At first release they were designed 'specifically for the macbook line'. And they do have that built in magsafe charger.

Its just odd that now they are marketing them as peripherals for the Mac Pro and Mac mini.

I suspect that when they do release new displays - that there will be ANOTHER 24" (along with the 30" and other sizes) in a different slimmer design. These monitors will not have the built in speakers or magsafe - possibly even without iSight.

3. stix666 macrumors regular

Is the port on the back of the display a displayport port?
    If so, you would presumably need a mac with 2 minidisplayport ports, and 2 minidisplayport-displayport connector leads to drive dual displays. Do any macs have this configuration?
    I'm sure the length of the lead wont be an issue for you Dr Swears - just whether or not your machine has a graphics card with 2 minidisplayport ports.

Personally, if/ when I get a second monitor, it wont be another ACD - I'd go for another S-IPS panel that's cheaper without the isight/speakers, but more connectivity options

On the marketing side, the 24" seems an excellent choice for all new macs (for driving the primary display) except the iMac. It has isight built-in and is an S-IPS panel

4. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

The video card on your new Mac Pro should have two DVI-output ports (or at least my 2006 Mac Pro with the 7300 does). So you'll need something to take the DVI signal and push that into a Mini Display port (looking at a Mini Display-to-DVI adapter from the Apple Store). ;)

And personally, I think the new Cinema Displays are fantastic. Apple did a great job on them.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They won't.

No such adapter exists or is planned to exist.

Have you even looked at the new Mac Pro? This is not the case. There is also no DVI-Mini DisplayPort adapter, nor are there plans for one.

OP, buy two GT 120 and plug one monitor into each.

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Oops. :eek: Seems awfully strange why my 2006 Mac Pro has this and not a 2009 Mac Pro... Sometimes I wonder about Apple.

7. stix666 macrumors regular

So to clarify, what exactly is the input port on the back of the LED screen?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mini DisplayPort on the Cinema Display, Mini DisplayPort on every Mac. There is no adapter for DVI to DisplayPort, nor is there one from Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort.

9. Dr Swears thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i was going to get the dual video cards, one of them the 4870. Just wondering if anyone has done it yet?

Hey tallest did you end up ordering two of the cinema displays for your new mac pro?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I have two 24" displays of my own already. Two Cinema Displays, while amazing, are too rich for my blood. Or, rather, I'm not rich enough for them... :D

11. Dr Swears thread starter macrumors newbie

Well as they say you gotta spend blood to make blood! Or something like that.

Cheers Tallest