Dual 24" iMac setup, or MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techhie, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Today, I will recieve my new 24" iMac that I ordered after selling my MBP two weeks ago. Now that I have some extra cash, I am torn between going for my dream dual 24" monitor setup, or buying a 2.0 Ghz refurb Uni MacBook for the best of both worlds. Keep in mind that I would buy the monitor on craigslist, and I already have several nice Dell and other 24" for around $200 lined up. If I went with the monitor, I could also get a new iPod, and some other stuff.

Which do you think is more worth it?

2. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Seeing as you are in Las Vegas I think you should take the money and play some blackjack. Then if you double it you can buy everything that you wanted. If you loose it then you don't have to decide :).

3. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

Well right now I am actually in Pittsburgh, PA. In July I am moving to Vegas, I'm just making preps on my accounts =).

Either way, I'm 16. I just really like the portability of a laptop (especially if it could be a nice metal MB, and not a netbook)

4. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I had a couple of ideas myself.

one was to like you said get both for the bet of both worlds.

then I started rethinking it and had all but decided on a 13" and then I was going to get an external monitor to do the same thing .

but then they dropped the bomb on the mbp and cut priced I was going to wait til we had our tax free weekend, but they have refurb pros running 650-1050 off, now granted they cut the price across the line, but I snagged the "old" top of the line 15" 2.53 for $1450 which was only a couple of hundred more than the 13, but I still kind of want a 13 because its small.

BTW any recommendations on quality monitors on the cheap?

I want to get at least a 22 some time down the line , unless I get a hdtv

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Buy the MacBook, get a free iPod. You might have to find a student to let you use their ID, but that's not hard. ;) Monitors are cheap, and you can pick one up later when you have some more cash. The now-last-gen MacBooks are a great deal, and you likely won't find a price quite this good until they refresh the line again.

6. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

In order to get the iPod, I have to buy new, and pay tax. I don't know if I have that kind of money, regardless of wether I sell the iPod afterwards or not.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Boo... right you are, I forgot there that they didn't do the iPod rebate on refurbs.

I would still probably buy the MB, simply because the deals right after a product refresh are the best you'll likely ever find, and it'll be at least six months before you see similar deals. Monitors, though, are always on sale somewhere.

8. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

Do you think If I wait it out the 2.0 Ghz MacBook will dip below what it's going for now? ($950)

9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Once the new macbooks are in all stores, it should dip down to $900 or even less with time.

10. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

I think I might buy the monitor now and just save up money, I'm turning 17 in Oct. Though, that $899 Canon Rebel T1i does look nice...:D

11. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Should and doing are 2 different things.

I have been watching craigslist for quite some time for a decently priced used macbook. I personally was not able to find one all the ones that sounded good or even acceptable turned out to be fake.

But with the new refurb deals going on now I don't see how it could not eventually trickle down to th masses.

But cheap ones are hard to find at least in my area.