Dual 27" imac/display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LindseyDarragh, Feb 23, 2010.

1. LindseyDarragh macrumors newbie

I am currently the proud owner of a 24" imac with a 24" Led Cinema display. Needless to say I love them both. But, like many others, I have been schmitten by the new 27" Imac and am looking to upgrade. I read that the 27's could also be used as a display and so my initial thought was that it would be amazing to have two 27's hooked up as an extended display. I did not think I would be the first to want to do this but I have had a surprisingly hard time finding pictures or reading about others who have done this. This will work right? Will I need to buy any adapters or should two off the shelf imac's have all of the cables I need.
    I have considered just upgrading to one 27 and keeping my cinema display but i think the mismatched screen sizes would bug the heck out of me. It already bothers me a bit that the Cinema display is not the same height as my 24" Imac.
    Also, I am hoping to get refurbs from the apple store but have not seen the 27" imac there yet. Any guesses on when I can start hoping to find one there.
    Yea and if anyone is interested in taking my current setup off my hands then pm me.

Thanks!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need this cable to do it. Dell has also released 27" monitor with same panel (=same specs) as 27" iMac but it's over 1000$. Dual 27"s would be awesome but seriously, you are wasting money because the other one is only used as a display

3. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the cable info.... I thought the same thing at first but moving up to the 30" display would cost around the same amount and I think that two 27"s will look much nicer plus the added fact that I will be able to use the second computer if ever needed.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Or run the second computer as a server. ;)
    Always a good idea.

I'm not totally sure if that's possible though.
    A guy around here has a 27" iMac connected to his Mac Pro but I can't remember what he said about using the computer inside the iMac while it's in (display) target mode.

5. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

Dell's 27" isn't LED backlit..

..if you do, buy that cable (miniDP to miniDP) from Circuit Assembly instead, cheaper, better quality and better customer service than anyone around.

I thought of this too, and would loove dual 27s (though I doubt I could justify the expense anytime in the next few years). I've heard that dell 27" monitor brought up all over these forums, and the one thing that always gets left out is that although it is the same panel, it's not LED backlit. For me, the LED backlight of one of the imacs best features. I'm currently using a Dell 3008WFP 30" (arguably one of the best 30" monitors around) and although it works great, I can't stand looking at such old fashion backlighting after getting used to apples LEDs. My eyes constantly feel worn out, and tired now, and I'll be selling my 3008wfp for a 27" i5 soon.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I have had dual screens for well over 10 years and neither of them were ever the same size.

Not a problem.

One main display and a "secondary" for email, iChat, iTunes, etc