dual 27" TB displays on mid 2014rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Sep 15, 2015.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

anyone successfully run 2 of these monitors?

I run one and use my rMBP as a second monitor and it's fairly decent in terms of performance.

2. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

I just sold my ATD last weekend but I had a LG UM95 34UM95(3440x1440) and a Apple thunderbolt 27 connected to my mid2014rMBP without any issues. I didn't try to play games, this setting was just for work purposes.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Great to know. I don't play games either, It's for Photoshop.

The LG is a huge monitor, how do you manage?

My 27" ATD is huge and I'm coming from a 30" Cinema Display (The old Aluminium ones).

I wish I could get 2x 24" ATD's that were 4k. Cmon' Apple.

4. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

The ATD was fixed to the wall with the Apple vesa mount and lg 34 was on a desk underneath it. My rMPB/irisPro was fine, in clamshell mode or with 3 displays, I just notice an increase in cpu temp to 64ºc when using 3 displays(rMBP included).
    I just bought the non 4k lg 34 because it had a huge price cut, was an open box purchase and I didn't notice any ips glow, volume control via apple keyboard was solved using soundFlower(when connecting the lg using a thunderbolt cable).
    I am not sure but I think you can only drive one 4k at 60hz(Redwood Ridge TB 2) + more with lower resolution.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

That sounds like a nice setup. I also notice increase in temps and the fan kicks in quicker. Maybe I can put it underneath my desk so I don't hear it, but it's nice to have 2 monitors. Most of my career I've worked with 2x displays and trying to adjust to something else now.

The heat happens because when you drive an external display it automatically uses the dGPU and in my case its a 750m. The Iris Pro actually gets aluminium hotter because it uses the CPU.

I may get an iMac in the future, I get tired of plugging and unplugging the thunderbolt cable.

6. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

eh eh I prefer plugin a cable than getting an iMac, the external monitor + rMBP IMHO and for my workflow offers more flexibility when compared to an Imac.
    The Iris Pro rMBP didn't "iPad 3 hotter", I had one and sold it. Apart from the rMPB, sometimes I had the ATD connected to a asus thunderbolt ex II card, with a EVGA GTX 750 Ti on a windows 10 + hackintosh ssds z97 mobo + a 23'' cheap hanns g ht231hpb touchscreen for windows in a awful desktop case hidden under the desk.