Dual 2GHZ Powermac G5 turning itself off?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by audiologist, Feb 2, 2009.

1. audiologist macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've bought a dual 2Ghz powermac G5 secondhand, and bought a new drive and installed 10.4.3 and updated to 10.4.11, the fans where always on full blast so i searched the forums and ran the Thermal Calibration utility, everything seemed fine for a week...

Then it started turning itself off with a click from the power supply after i left it on all night while downloading...

i've downloaded Temperature Monitor and watched the temp when i've been using logic, the temp seemed fine (compared to the temps i've found online) but did seem to cut out when it was put under more strain, but it seems to be happening alot quicker everytime, at first it was after 10 min, then about 7, then less etc, now it barely makes it to the desktop before turning itself off, i've tried running it with the side off to keep it cool, seemed to help at first. But now makes no difference, if i try and turns it back on right away it doesn't even make the desktop..

I spoke to the guy i bought it from, he said he had a problem withthe video card and power supply before but it got fixed at the apple shop. Naturally i was thinking he was probably mistaken about them fixing it, so i've just run the apple hardware test and the ASD tests, everything's passed on both tests and left it on the AHT screen all afternoon to see how long it would last, then as soon as i moved the mac (only to slide it back under the desk) it turned off again! can anyone suggest something i can try to fix this? oris it a new power supply? :(

thanks in advance!

Mark

2. MrM macrumors 6502

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yep.

Power Mac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues

If it turned off from moving it, sounds like something else can be loose or shorting something out. Try removing all cables, memory, hard drives, etc and reseat/reattach them to see if that was a possible issue.

4. phatmuther macrumors newbie

Yeah, I reckon its the power suply, I;ve had problems like this before, apple replaced the power suply and everything was fine.

5. Earl Urly macrumors regular