Dual 30" displays without a mac pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J273, Dec 30, 2009.

1. J273 macrumors regular

I used to own a macbook pro before i sold it on.

Im now thinking of switching back to mac from windows.The only thing is ,I use dual 30" monitors with windows 7 and works fine.With me going back to mac switching back to one 30" is a bit of a downgrade as ive got so used to using both.

I cant afford a mac pro.Is there anyway of running dual 30" @ 2560x1600 each from a macbook pro or even mac mini at the full res of 2560 x 1600?

Thanks

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The MacPro is the only Apple product that is capable of running several 30" displays without additional hardware.
    Every other Apple computer is restricted to a single 30" display.

The only option is to get an additional external graphics card that can drive more than one 30" display.
    As these cards (IIRC there is only one available) are connected via PCI express card, the 17" MacBook Pro is the only product that can use them.

Considering the price of a 17" MBP plus the external graphics card (about 500$ for a Mac version), the smallest MacPro would be much cheaper.

Edit: This is the box I'm talking about -> ViDock Gfx

Edit2: That is the old version, the new ViDock 2, offers better performance for only 300$.

3. J273 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks....I thought maybe so:(

So the vidock will only work with the 17" model?

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's right.
    The 17" is the last MBP with an express card slot, hence the only model that supports such an external graphics solution.

You might consider a refurbished 15" MBP from the last generation, they've got express card as well.

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

wow really?? even my cheap htpc can handle more than 1 monitor. i'd have to get a mac pro just for this functionality? LOL.

6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

why don't you get a 27 imac, and then have 1 30" screen the other side of it? it won't look as symmetrical but you'll still get by [​IMG]