dual 30in Cinemas--different color

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by renault4, Aug 16, 2008.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

I just hooked up a second 30" to an Nvidia 8800GT card on a Mac Pro. The second monitor was purchased much later than the first, lets say there is about 9 months difference. I cant get the two to come out the same color--tried calibrating one to the other; whites are brighter and text is crisper--is this just a generational difference or perhaps an age/degredation issue?

2. UFO212 macrumors member

UFO212

3. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

It could be that the monitors have different components, perhaps Apple switched LCD panel vendors in that time. Stupid question, but are both monitors using the same Color Management settings in System Preferences?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

This happens all the time, to me even among monitors purchased at the same time - and it's not the only thing which makes a mockery of those 'Apple S-IPS is best' types (who probably have a sample of one, which they're "comparing" against everything they haven't bought). In fact I'd say between Dell and Apple and the large number of monitors I buy for home and office, the greatest variances which hobble even calibrated multimonitor setups for me come from Apple. Pick up a hardware calibrator and do your best.

5. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

I am hunting around within my organization for a calibration unit today. will let you know if this fixed it.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The display used changes and is improved every few months, despite the fact that most people think it hasn't been updated since 2006, it has. You will not likely get both monitors the same. I take it the newer monitor is better?

7. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

yup, I took a photo, not great, but enough to see a difference....

Attached Files:

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yeah I would have to agree with UFO212. Your best bet is a calibration tool.

Don

9. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I have the same exact issue. My monitors were purchased 6 months apart. One has visibly crisper text, brighter colors, and less pink/red hue. I'm thinking about trying to get Applecare to exchange my old one for a new one, but I doubt it will work. It's really bugging me. :(

Hardware calibration won't do anything, I've tried it. The displays will never look the same, or even close. How do people with this issue overcome it for graphics work and such?