Dual 4k monitors with mid 2015 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by analyticsDS, May 4, 2016.

1. analyticsDS macrumors newbie

Hello,

I know there are a few threads on this, but I still wanted to make one to be super duper sure since I am on the verge of making a purchase decision!

My machine is:
    - OSX El Capitan 10.11.4 (15E65)
    - MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    - Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    - AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

I'd like to hook this up to 2x 4k monitors (ideally the 27" Dell P2715Q). I am wondering if:

1. Is this possible? If so, how would the setup look like? Each monitor plugs into one of the two mini display ports?

2. How will performance be? I generally have 2-3 Excel workbooks, Rstudio/Python (for analysis and dev.), a postgressql client, Mail, powerpoint, chrome with a few tabs open. I don't know if having multiple displays will tax anything beyond the GPU.

3. Will I need to keep my laptop in clamshell mode or can I still have it open as a third mini screen for Mail and Slack?

4. Any reccs on a 4k monitor? I was thinking the Dell P2715Q because my previous set up with a 13" early 2015 rMBP paired with a 24" Dell 4k IPS P2415Q. That worked just great. I'm hoping to take things up a notch with the 15" mid 2015 rMBP + duak 4k 27" monitors

I appreciate any and all responses!

Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Everything you want to do will be fine, can't reccomend a screen but your computer should handle that with no issues.

3. kevmodrome macrumors newbie

I can run two 2415Q monitors on my 13" 2015 rMBP. There are some framedrops but it works. I have no problem doing programming, running iphone apps or doing webdev on it at the same time. Running this on the 15" should be fine.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I have a couple of modification recommendations for you. Pass on the Dell P2715Q and upgrade the cabling from the supplied stock cables.

I have two Dell P2715Q displays on my desk, and I'm looking at one right now while I type this. It's OK when compared to the more-expensive BenQ BL2711U. I run a small company - besides the two P2715Q displays on my own desk, I have about 20 of them in my offices, and 12 of the BenQ displays in my offices. The BenQ displays have far better specs/displays/performance than the Dell displays - and also "better" future-proofing via HDMI 2.0. Keep in mind that Dell had to go through Rev 0/1/2/3 versions to get it right - not good quality control IMHO - versus BenQ getting it right from Day One; I have Rev 1 displays on my desk and I'm exchanging them for Rev 3 displays soon. Both have 3-year warranties - MAKE SURE YOU BUY DIRECT FROM DELL if you buy the P2715Q, and you can read for yourself the stories of having to deal with 3rd party RMA issues - buying from Dell solves most of this but I've had no issues whatsoever with the BenQ displays as they're just working perfectly from Day One, out of the box. I'm selling my Dells, and pawning off my Dell displays in my offices - they're OK, but there's better products out there now.

If you want display real estate, you should also consider the Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC. We have two. They're brilliant.

Cables. I've discovered lots of gripes about frame drops. I have experienced frame drops and display issues, then I discovered that the vast majority of cables do not adhere to the DisplayPort standards, and I've ranted about this here on MR Forums. I've spent a few hundred dollars on substitute cables, mainly to test out gripe theories. There's only a few manufacturers of DP cables that comply with DP's own standards, and I've swapped out all of our stock cables - except for our spendy Eizo displays that do comply - for Accell cables, and our "lag", "frame drop", and "delay" problems/issues disappeared.

Our displays - including mine - are mounted on arms (I chose Herman Miller Flo products...) and left the stands in the box, where they belong...

Hey, cheap is good. I'm over cheap - I want product that works.

5. ja09 macrumors newbie

@analyticsDS How did this end up working for you? I'm possibly looking to purchase the exact same computer with the M370X card and return my 2016 tb.

I have two LG 27UD68, and I went to the Apple store two days ago and their sales and genius person both told me 30hz is max for two external 4k displays on the mid-2015 with or without M370X.

Seems like people are running two at 60hz though. Are you? Any performance or heat issues?