Dual 500's or Single 800?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SuperCompu2, Jul 26, 2007.

?

Which would be better for everyday needs?

1. 500MHz Dualies all the way!

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. 800MHz, clock speed trumps all!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I'm trying to figure out which computer I should live off of until I save up to buy a new one. One has two 500MHz G4s, the other a single 800MHz G4.

(if it makes a difference, one's a PowerMac, and one's a PowerBook)

Let me know what you guys think. I run PS and some 3D apps on the Dual 500, but I think the 800 PB could handle them, gimme some input.
    Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, odd poll! I'd guess the PM is mildly faster due to its non-CPU hardware (2x500 MHz is probably going to be slower than 800MHz in most settings). It can also probably (more inexpensively) have more memory.

The 800MHz is a TiBook, right? If it has 1GB of memory, it's probably not bad (my iBook G4/800 with 1.125GB is very usable). It's probably worth more money by a substantial margin than the PowerMac.

I'd say... if you need a cash infusion, sell the Powerbook... you're not going to get a lot for a dual 500MHz PMG4. Also if you can put >1GB of memory or have SATA or something for the PM, it can do a lot more, obviously, and if you've been using it quite happily without feeling the need for a notebook all this time....

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My advice parallels mkrishnan's: sell the PowerBook and hang on to the dual 500 tower. The PB is worth more, and the tower should give you better performance overall.

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Well from what it looks like from the developer copies of Leopard, it will only run on G4's that are 800mhz or higher. That may change when it's actually released though. Then you have to think whether you enjoy portability or not and whether you can upgrade the processors on the G4 at some point. From your signature it looks like you have a good setup with the powermac running Tiger and maybe a Wallstreet powerbook for light websurfing. I'd personally stick with that unless you're itching to install Leopard soon.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well given the four computers in your sig, you could sell all off and be quite close to a new iMac/Macbook since you could also replace that HP. Assuming dual computers is not a must.

However as others have said for overall performance the Powermac will be faster. Since OS X is so good at managing multiple processors. Though some tasks that single 800 would win.

6. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Well, the Wallstreet has some issues that makes it a pain to use regularly, so the TiBook (yes, with 1GB RAM) would likely be my websurfer. But if I was to sell the PMG4 (got an offer for 400 on craigslist) I'd probably make the TiBook my main unit.

The wallstreet has issues sleeping and the power cord is faulty. I had a better one but I sold the good YoYo for some extra bucks. The sleep issue is that when you put it to sleep (by either telling it to or closing the lid) It will not wake the screen back up. Also, It's painfully slow to boot (starts up twice, automatically) and once it starts theres a staticky pixely line across the bottom which goes away when the dock pops up. Odd, but if you have the patience 10.2 doesn't run half bad on it.

Is 400 a good offer for the DP 500?