Dual 5k Monitors - both dead...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by triumph71, Jan 10, 2017.

1. triumph71 macrumors member

triumph71

Well, after my dual 5 displays arrived this morning I set them up with my 15" 2016 mbp with 2.9ghz CPU and Radeon 460.

After plugging in the first display things were looking great. The picture was amazing, playing a couple of quick 4k and 5k videos really showed this display was a fantastic upgrade fro my dual 30" Cinema Display setup.

The second monitor didn't go so well. It flickered once when plugged in but after that, no amount of cable fiddling, re-plugging, could get anything out of it. It simply stayed blank. Power was being delivered to the laptop when I tried it by itself, but nothing else. It wasn't detected as a thunderbolt 3 device at all.

I tried with my 13" nTB mbp, but no luck there either. I tried with the first 5k's TB3 cable, no dice there either. I called AppleCare and arranged for a replacement. Then I went to lunch.

Upon getting back from lunch, I could not wake my first 5k display. This had been performing great and didn't even flicker or have issues when I had previously wiggled the tb3 cable. I tried the same cable acrobatics as with the 2nd display but no dice.

On a hunch that this was a cable issue, I drove 45mins each way to the local Apple Store and purchased a .5m and a 2m Belkin TB3 cable (I know its only 60W) to see if that would help. Tried both, no dice.

So I'm now on hold trying to reach AppleCare 'again' to get a replacement on the first one.. sigh...

2. iBrooker macrumors 6502

What a nightmare! Hope they get things sorted for you soon.

I was meant to get a replacement today but on calling to check they said I need to send this one back first! I'm worried that the next one might be worse than this one hence would prefer to keep hold of this until I see the other one. (This one is not too bad, it's just in the bottom left the backlight is uneven and gives off a green tint on white).

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Not sure if it will help you, but I read a report from a user who said that spraying some compressed air in the Thunderbolt 3 port on the display fixed his issues. He had also tried a new cable to no avail.

Also, remember if you originally ordered online you can arrange a replacement online without having to talk to anyone. Just go to request a return, and select the replacement option.

4. hollandog macrumors regular

hollandog

5. triumph71 thread starter macrumors member

triumph71

It's not even the half of it :). I'm on my second 15" mbp. The first one took 4 weeks to arrive, and then on day 1 I had major graphic glitches and random system crashes, so had to return it. As it was BTO, my replacement mbp took another 6 weeks for delivery. This one seems ok, but I can't really switch to it full time until I get some displays as I like to have multiple editor/terminal/browser windows open.

When I ordered my 5k displays (within 2 hours of their release), I was supposed to get next-day delivery which would of seen my displays arriving last week. But Apple 'accidentally' shipped them with ground/standard delivery, causing even more delays :(. I really have the worst luck.

On the plus side I've had my 2008 Mac Pro running 24/7 for 9 years. It's been a fantastic machine, it's just a shame apple can't seem to get it's ass in the right gear anymore.

6. kevlee macrumors newbie

Similar issue here. Once I plug the thunderbolt 3 cable into my macbook pro, the display constantly flickers. I can't get it to work for over 30 seconds. I have the 15 inch macbook pro. I tried plugging the display into my brothers 13 inch macbook pro and it worked perfectly fine. I thought it was an issue with the cable until I tried that. Now I'mguessing it's an issue with my macbook...

7. inmotionnow macrumors regular

I think it's time to buy a lottery ticket! But in all seriousness, what a crap shot. Hope that everything is resolved soon.

8. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple 'accidentally' did that. mine and many others also get standard shipping.
    worse, Fedex seems to 'lost' my package. and apple takes 4 days to 'investigate'. I probably won't get mine even next week. and I too placed my order within 2 hours.

9. TJC PE macrumors member

Had, and am having, similar issues. always wanted two 5 K displays

12/8/16 received MacBook 15 2.9 Radeon 460
    worked fine with older external monitors with HDMI and Displayport adapters

12/29/16 received first 5K monitor
    5k monitor flickered on and off A LOT - sometimes after a couple of min, sometimes with changing applications, sometimes with adjusting the screen, sometimes after 30-45 minutes.
    Heard some had problems with the LG supplied USBC cable, so I ordered two additional Belkin cables:

1. 20 GB Belkin F2CD081bt1M USB-IF Certified USB-C to USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Cable, Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1, 3-Foot from Amazon

2. 40 GB Belkin Labeled 5K direct from Belkin

Still intermittent problems with all three cables
    1/6/17 finally had enough
    Packed up everything and took to Apple Store with Genius Bar appointment. I was just in side Jan8th return window on the MacBook and was ready to give up and ship everything back.
    Thye had not seen any 5K in the store yet. Set it all up explained problems. They ran complete diagnostics on the MacBook - all clean. Then for the next two hours I sat at the desk and tried to reproduce - never a flicker. Went home and things with first 5K have been flawless since.

1/12/17 received second 5K monitor (Today)
    set it up new 5K by itself and with both 5K connected and having similar intermittent problems.
    However it is getting better as time goes on (2 hours and counting).
    I'm wondering if I have some dirty electrical power at the desk and am trying to limit other connections.
    When they flicker it is really a hassle because the applications open on 2nd or third screen jump back to MacBook screen and it does not recognize other screens - even though power shows flowing from the monitor to the laptop.

Have original MacBook USBC power plugged in also (simultaneous with the monitors - not sure what impact that has on who is supplying the power - but seems to be working better).

fingers crossed.

10. kevlee macrumors newbie

I think I may have found a possible solution. I completely reinstalled OSx and am not having this problem anymore. Pretty simple actually. Hold command R when rebooting and let go once you see the Apple logo. From there select reinstall osx.

Hope this helps some folks.

11. triumph71 thread starter macrumors member

triumph71

Well, i'm sorta bummed i'm not alone. It means this connectivity issues are more widespread than just mine.

I am running a janky old 1080p monitor via displayport -> hdmi while I wait, and that's been flawless. Pretty sure it's not my lappy anyway as I tested with my 13" nTBmbp and it had the same issues.

12. kevlee macrumors newbie

This has worked for me each time my display issues happen. If I plug the MBP's USBC cable in simultaneously, I don't have issues with the flickering anymore.

13. triumph71 thread starter macrumors member

triumph71

Well this is such crap. My 'replacement' displays were shipped today. Even though the shipping was clearly marked as next day delivery and I even expressly asked the sales team when we went through this replacement nonsense the other day, my displays were shipped **GROUND AGAIN!**. Ok, I know this is not a huge deal to most people, and it sounds peavy, but it's especially tough for me as i'm actually trying to get work done here.

To put icing on the cake, I notice that on apple.com, the 5Ks are now in stock, and if you choose fastest shipping you can get them by tomorrow! Instead I have to wait until next Tuesday for my replacements.

[​IMG]

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I usually never tell people to complain but they should definitely make this up to you somehow. I'd call them and complain up the chain of command. You've spent a pretty penny to be treated this way.

15. pete1961 macrumors newbie

Tell me about it! Returned mine on 12/30 for a replacement. Replacement order showed all along as Next Day Delivery. It shipped yesterday UPS Ground! Will not have for a few more days. So it will have basically have taken close to 3 weeks for a replacement to arrive. Yet many other people have been receiving monitors while I continue to wait. This is not the first time lately Apple has pulled this crap. Getting kind of tired of Apple customer service lately. I was even told on the phone when arranging the return a replacement would be shipped overnight. Chat support says otherwise after the fact that no replacements ship overnight.

16. kevlee macrumors newbie

Just an update off this. Reinstalling osx seems to be a temporary fix to the flickering issue. Once the computer goes to sleep for a bit, the same flickering will happen and I have to plug in an additional usb c cable to my TB MBP for it to work.

17. triumph71 thread starter macrumors member

triumph71

I'm starting to think my initial issues might have been caused by WIFI interference. I have my wifi router on my desk right next to the displays.

When i first setup the monitors, the first one (furthest from my router) worked fine, the second one, right next to the router didn't work at all. Then after I boxed up the second router, i moved the other monitor into a more central position, and that's when the problems with that one started.

Check out this video posted in another thread:

I think that i'm going to try to relocate the router away from the desk. This won't be easy as i really have no other flat surfaces, but perhaps i will mount it on the wall and run the cables down in the wall itself.

18. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

it that a thunderbolt 2-3 adapter connected to the display? I'd be curious if its related to the thunder 2-3 adapter (+/- the router interference).

19. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

That's an interesting find. I had similar experience - when I first connected and tested my LG 5K display - it was away from my WiFi router. Then I moved it to to my desk, where I also have my WiFi routers, and the flickering started.

I have since returned by display and awaiting a replacement. But will certainly keep this in mind if I start seeing similar issues.

20. triumph71 thread starter macrumors member

triumph71

Yah I'm going to move my wifi router onto the wall about 6 feet away. Should be no chance of interference there, and also should give better wifi coverage to boot. Would never of even considered bothering with this before, but now I'm going to get ready for my replacements which arrive Wednesday.