Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM-Prod

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I'm still using MacPro's 5.1 - and I've made an extra cable for power distribution from the SATA ports to the GPU-area for added power capabilities running the later GPU's from Nvidia. However, due to Mojave's lack of Nvidia drivers, I've acquired a pair of cheap second hand Radeon 580RX to test double 8-pin power consumption and Mojave on 5.1 workstations.

They seem to process 6k Raw-files at almost real-time speed, but they don't seem to be able to both process and read at the same time in RedCine it seems. It buffers a segment in what seems like realtime, and then plays it back, etc., etc. It also stutters in DaVinci Resolve.

Should they be linked with any kind of cable to work better in tandem on a Mac?

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
you might be hitting a cpu bottleneck, after all it is almost a 9 /10 year old cpu design.

I use a RX Vega 56 GPU and edit in FCPX but all my footage is from dslr and not in Raw format.

there is a hack to enable hardware h264 encoding/decoding just search this forum, it might help you???

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Crossfire is only in Windows.

AFAIK, Crossfire is only for 3D Alternate Frame Rendering in Windows gaming. Not quite related to video editing.

MacOS, and some video editing software clearly can utilise multi GPU for computing / rendering.

e.g. Luxmark clearly shows that it can utilise the 2nd GPU quite well.
V3 970 280.jpg

V3 10.11.4 b4 970.jpg

In FCPX, both GPU can also be used simultaneously.
FCPX Rendering.jpg

BruceX also shows almost 100% improvement when 2nd 7950 is installed.

What I've heard is that dual RX580 isn't working quite well in macOS. Some users reported that the 2nd GPU basically sits idle and doing nothing all the time. No idea what the problem is, but definitely nothing about "no Crossfire support in macOS".

Since the 7,1 will allow user install multiple Polaris GPU (and Apple will sell Polaris GPU as well), I believe they will fix this issue later. But at this moment, seems better to go for a single powerful GPU (e.g. Radeon VII), especially for those running 10.1.4.5.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Barefeats has results of dual Radeons. They perform quite strongly on macOS but depends on the app.

Latest Resolve 16 beta playback is pretty bad on even a single GPU. Previous beta was fine. But thing to note is Resolve renders most codecs on CPUs. Only uses GPU for real time grading and some FX.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Out of curiosity Nvidia (Kepler) and AMD do not join forces in any application in Mojave?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
are you using two AMD RX 580 if so how do you suply power to them?
one 6pin + sata for each card, is that ok? (i relay dont know never tryed)

i asume the app's you want to use is RedCine & Resolve.
i dont know redcine but a quick google found this
https://ymcinema.com/2019/02/07/red...leased-nvidia-dedicated-but-for-windows-only/
'It’s important to note that according to the update that Dual GPUs currently do not provide performance improvements.'

and for Resolve you are using the paid version? not the free one as dual GPU use is only in the paid one.
if you are on the paid version of Resolve did you corectly set all the prefrencesto use the dual GPU?

also play with openCL v metale in resolve, for me openCL was faster but that may be difrent for you.

and you mention 6k Raw-files, thats big files so do you have lots of ram & fast drives? + realistic expectations
full rez playback may just be to much
what CPU do you have, not the 2.4ghz one?

worth using activity monitor to watch gpu use when you use the apps to check if there being used and how much.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
are you using two AMD RX 580 if so how do you suply power to them?
one 6pin + sata for each card, is that ok? (i relay dont know never tryed)

i asume the app's you want to use is RedCine & Resolve.
i dont know redcine but a quick google found this
https://ymcinema.com/2019/02/07/red...leased-nvidia-dedicated-but-for-windows-only/
'It’s important to note that according to the update that Dual GPUs currently do not provide performance improvements.'

and for Resolve you are using the paid version? not the free one as dual GPU use is only in the paid one.
if you are on the paid version of Resolve did you corectly set all the prefrencesto use the dual GPU?

also play with openCL v metale in resolve, for me openCL was faster but that may be difrent for you.

and you mention 6k Raw-files, thats big files so do you have lots of ram & fast drives? + realistic expectations
full rez playback may just be to much
what CPU do you have, not the 2.4ghz one?

worth using activity monitor to watch gpu use when you use the apps to check if there being used and how much.

The free version of Resolve for macOS supports two GPUs (including dGPU+eGPU combo), the Windows free version is single GPU.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Reactions: orph
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.