Dual antennas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by COSE23, Oct 4, 2011.

1. COSE23 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but can someone explain to me more about the dual antennas. How does it make it faster, how will it effect Verizon users? (me) I just don't know it sounded just too magical. I thought that there was really no such thing on the market today as "4g" and that it was just a marketing strategy, but yet it seems that some people are disappointed that apple never called it 4g. If someone could enlighten me, I would certainly appreciate it.

2. astral125 macrumors 6502

I would also like to know how this works and if there is an appreciable benefit.

3. COSE23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, but it didn't say anything about speeds. If my friend has a droid 2 running on 3g verizon and I have an iphone 4s running on the same, if we do a speed test will the iphones dual antennas make it faster?

4. Smtevo macrumors 6502

5. JimKirk macrumors 6502

Question

Since the new iPhone 4s on ATT or other carriers it would seem logical that you could just take your iPhone and use it on any carrier.

But I guess that will not happen right?

I assume these are still carrier locked? I am guessing there will be a black market to unlock these to work on any carrier.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4G is meaningless, carriers and android manufacturers are applying the term to HSPA+, LTE, WiiMAX and LTE-Advanced networks. And each has varying levels of features.

Verizon has NO HSPA+ network. They went straight from 3G 1Mbps -> LTE, skipping over HSPA+. iPhone 4S will still be stuck at old ~1mbps Verizon 3G speed.

ATT deployed HSPA+ as a stepping stone to LTE, iPhone 4S added HSPA+ capability, will only get speed bump on ATT in areas upgraded for HSPA+.

Sprint, unknown.

----------

No. Maybe a more reliable, consistent signal, maybe.

But it would be hard to substantiate.