dual apple 24" led

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by haoqfu, Jul 1, 2010.

1. haoqfu macrumors regular

Guys,
    I'm thinking of picking up a new mac mini to drive 2 apple 24" led. here are my questions:

1. is there an hdmi to mini display port adapter that i can use to drive the 2nd 24" led? if so, how is the performance?

2. is there anyway i can output audio to the speakers of both monitors?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

3. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

I prefer dual screen set up to one big single screen, that way i have more horizontal views of the screen.

besides, i love the easier access of upgrading memory and hdd of mac mini.

4. actionman133 macrumors newbie

I think what he's referring to is that the moment you purchase a single cinema display with your Mac Mini, you're paying more than you would for an iMac anyway.

In the US, a Mac Mini with a wired keyboard and mouse with a single Cinema Display costs $1700. For the same money, you could get a 27 inch screen, significantly faster CPU, twice the RAM, 3 times the HDD capacity (with faster performance), a better graphics card and wireless keyboard and mouse. It makes sense to buy the iMac with a second display, unless you need two identical screens.

5. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

you are probably right. but i do prefer 2 identical screens.. and i guess both mac mini and cinema display have a higher reselling values than imac.

6. mluters macrumors member

I used to run two 24" ACD from a 2009 Mac mini with one connected to the mini display port and the other connected to the mini DVI port via a Atlona AT-DP200 DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter. Worked great with no problems. The 2010 Mac Mini has a better graphics card so I think it will have no issues at all.

7. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for reply. were you able to adjust the screen brightness for both displays? and were you only able to use the speakers/camera on one of the screens?

8. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-duo

9. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

10. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

not yet, but as soon as I dump my dual 23 inch monitors I will

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The RAM is easy to upgrade, upgrade HD will void warranty on the mini.
    Also mini uses 2.5" HDs which are slower, smaller and more expensive.

iMac+Dell U2711 will give two identical displays (although will be more expensive), but I guess since you're going min +2x Apple LED that money aren't the issue. The iMac will also be a lot faster the quadcore i5 eats the dualcore C2D.

12. linux2mac macrumors 65816

linux2mac