Dual apple studio display on powermac g5? Only one ADC port!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Hi,
    I have a powermac g5 with a 128mb graphics card Radeon 9600 XT.
    I have bought two apple studio displays like this:

http://www.finestcomputers.co.uk/FinC/Mac/StudioDisplay15/03.jpg

And I want to run them on my powermac g5 so I can have one screen with logic and another with sibelius but my graphics card does not have 2 adc ports. it has one adc and another one that I have never seen before. Could someone tell what the other port on the Radeon 9600 XT 128mb is? Can I get an adapter to work?

Thankyou very much!

2. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

UPDATE

Just found out that the other port is a DVI - I

I can't find an adapter!

3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a PowerMac G5 at work. It's driving two Sanyo 27" monitors. One straight DVI and one ADC to DVI. There's no power involved with the cable I am using. It's just a cable/adapter. I simply went down in 2005 to my local retail shop and bought a cable.

Here is one like it by Belkin.

5. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

That's because the Sanyo's will have separate power and video cables, the Apple Studio displays don't, they were designed to be used over ADC, which also supplies the power through the one cable.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah…got you! Forgot about that. Haven't had one of those in quite some time and the one this Mac came with is downstairs attached to a PC.

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you need that dvi to adc adapter to get power to the display now that you have bought the studio display 's
    sorry can be quiet expensive at times if you are unlucky to have bidders against you , because most people who upgrade the PowerMac G5's with flashed pc cards need that adapter too ,if they want to keep their Apple studio display , but consider yourself lucky they turn up quiet often on ebay now , so the chances are good you dont need to spend a lot , there are actually 4 at the moment on ebay UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dvi+to+adc+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

thats the downside of that clever idea of Apple with the ADC port, apart from Apple only Formac offered that port on some of their monitors , at least i know no other manufacturer who offered that port

8. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

sell one of the displays and grab an apple cinema (dvi) display.. cheaper.. :)
    those adaptors suck hard and they are exy too.

9. MacHamster68, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

or the right Formac gallery display with dvi input

but the aluminium cinema displays are not really cheap on ebay people bid far over £100 for the 20" and sometimes even for faulty ones (read not working)
    i payed for my 30" just £70 after haggling it down from £150 in the friday-ad , ok is not mint condition ,has on the back a 10 inch fine but deep scratch and a couple smaller ones , but the front where the display is was perfect..and to me the front was more important (didn't say that to the owner as it helped haggling )

so sometimes its worth it to look somewhere else (friday-ad , craiglist ...) instead of ebay