Dual-band Airport Express / Extreme improving AirPlay performance?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mobile23, Aug 27, 2012.

1. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

I am using a wireless N router from my ISP and I found that AirPlay doesn't perform too smoothly from my 3nd gen iPad to my 3nd gen AppleTV, especially on mirroring video and games. It skips frames often and video doesn't match audio..... Although the router is wireless N but it is only single banded at 2.4Ghz. Will a dual-band Apple Airport Express / Extreme improve AirPlay performance? Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could, but only if one or both of the devices are within range of the 5Ghz band. The 5Ghz band has about one third the range of the 2.4Ghz band.

3. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

Thanks for the quick reply.... I live in a small apartment which I think 5Ghz gives me enough range. I will go pick up an Airport Express this weekend to give that a try

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Since you live in an apartment the 2.4 band could he pretty clogged which will hamper your speeds. For the most part the 5ghz band is wide open. Also consider other makes. There are faster routers out there than the Apple unit. I live my E4200. If I was buying now it would be an E4500.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree that living in an apartment, channel congestion is likely your issue. The first thing to try is changing the channel on your current router. Otherwise, the 5Ghz band on another router might improve things for you.