Dual Band Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atad6, May 6, 2008.

1. atad6 macrumors regular

Soon I'm going to be setting up a dual band G/N network with a 1tb time capsule and linksys wrt54gs running dd-wrt firmware. I've read all the different approaches to accomplish this and it basically entails running one of the routers in a client bridge mode. My question now is which router should I set to be the main, handling dhcp.

At the moment I'm thinking the best solution would be use run the Linksys as the router and use the AE in bridge mode, this would allow me to use the more advanced features of dd-wrt like QoS for more control over bandwidth usage for VOIP. Also time capsule/AE might have faster transfer speeds because it won't have to handle dhcp.

My only problem with this is I don't know if there will be any issues with the linksys router handling multiple connections at once. There are situations when serving files over bittorrent uses a ton of connections which can cause the entire internet to slow due to a lack of processing power. It also seems a bit counter intuitive to use a 30 dollar linksys router as the main, but when comparing all the features of dd-wrt it seems better suited for that task.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience or thoughts relating to this setup.

Thanks!

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

Use dd-wrt as the router, as you stated, it will give you more flexibility. Use the AE as AP/TC only. As for the connections, what version of the gs do you have? There are 7 of them. If you have versions 1 - 3 your good, if you have version 7, you *might* see some issues as they only have 2mb of ram. I would just do it, and see what happens. If you do see problems, the dd-wrt forums are your best bet for answers. I imagine since you talk about QOS and VOIP, you must have a version between 1 and 4, the micro is not gonna support VOIP and QOS. You can obviously use a VOIP device with a micro load, but you do not get any of the advanced features like VOIP QOS with the micro load.

3. atad6 thread starter macrumors regular

I only have one other question about running AE in bridge mode. If I transfer files between two computers going through the N only bridge will speeds slow down due to the fact that the linksys isn't gigabit or will the files only go through the AE.