Dual Boot an old power pc???

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by sbluetruck, Aug 14, 2007.

1. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

I have an old power pc based Mac running OS 8.0 (see sig for details)

is there a way that i could partion my hard drive keeping OS 8 (which i LOVE)
    and run Ubuntu 7.04????

it would mostly be something to mess around with, maybe get some work done ;)

thanks

2. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

7.04 might be a little hard on that system. the memory more than anything. i tried installing 7.04 on a P1 200mhz mmx with 128mb ram and it was painful.

also that HDD might not be big enough to get 7.04 to install properly.

its much harder to install any thing like ubuntu or other free OS on a older Mac cause of the old world rom. i am not sure if all old world rom Mac's have the same issue or not. but from what i hear you have to boot into Mac OS and boot ubuntu wile booted in Mac OS.

right now with that system i would be more worried about not enough ram and low HDD space. and the low CPU speed is another thing.

BTW what model of Mac is that.

3. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I could be wrong, but I thought that version 6 of Ubuntu was the last one developed for PowerPC processors. I'd research that.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That probably isn't going to happen. Also, 8.1 was a free update to 8.0 users...

5. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

Yea there is ubuntu 7.04 for PPC, you just have to download it

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.04/release/

i dont think you can order it tho. i tryed ordering 7.04 for Mac and there was only options for 32 bit x86 and 64bit x86 a month ago. there was no option to ship 7.04 for Mac.

but there is a download for it.

i have one of the previous versions of 7 for Mac on CD that i got shipped

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've used 7.04 on PowerPC but it's a little flaky. Expect some problems getting binaries for certain applications as well via synaptic.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ouch...

I didn't realize the machine was that old.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It would be more obvious if sbluetruck's signature wasn't so vague. There is no Mac called "the PowerPC" - but whatever it is, being 225mhz and running Mac OS 8.0 makes it Old World.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do remember seeing some 225 MHz upgrade cards from some of the older Macs that I've salvaged.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes and 6500s and 5500s also came in 225mhz flavors.

12. sbluetruck thread starter macrumors regular

sbluetruck

its a 5500.
    i got it off a friend who works at a fine arts school. it was free, so im happy :) the comp is suprisingly fast for the specs.
    im fine running 8.0, its fast and stable. i mainly use the comp for word processing and playing cd's. files go to floppies so i can print and move them... but i know, 2GB isnt much.

well, i thought id give it a go over with the experts here, it was just a thought.

oh well, it looks like i'll have to "experiment" on that pentium II :rolleyes:

thanks guys!

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You should change your signature to read:

":apple: Power Macintosh 5500/225, 2GB HDD, 64MB RAM, OS 8.0"

Since "Power Macintosh 5500/225" is the actual model name of your computer and automatically implies that it has a PowerPC processor. Hence the confusion. The way you have it now, you could have either a Power Mac 5500/225, or a Power Mac 6500/225, or various 225mhz processor upgrade cards that were available. If you're going to ask questions about your specific computer, and then direct our attention to your signature, you should make it less vague.

Also, PowerPC is spelled as one word.