Dual boot AND virtualize same Win 7 install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by david06, May 30, 2011.

1. david06 macrumors member

I would like to have one Windows install on my mac, but the option to dual boot into it (for more intensive use) or boot it up using virtualization software (for less intensive use). I recall one of the virtualization products allowed this a while ago, but haven't kept up with the different options/features that the different programs have.

What options are there for doing this?

How well does it work in practice? Are there issues with Windows complaining that it is not registered/activated as a result of switching back and forth, driver issues, or any other type of problems which keep it from working as smoothly as it should?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

AFAIK, they all allow it. Drivers are swapped in at boot time.

3. david06 thread starter macrumors member

So which option is best? VMWare or Parallels? Both in terms of this setup working reliably and in terms of speed and performance when virtualizing.

I don't plan on playing games or anything like that that is incredibly demanding.

4. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

There are already dozens of "Parallels vs Fusion" threads, so no need to rehash the pros and cons of each here. Each will do what you need; each has its fans and its detractors. Since both offer downloadable demos, you can Bootcamp your machine and then try both of them to see which one you prefer.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Make sure to shut down Windows fully when switching between the two (don't use Hibernate/Suspend).