Dual Boot and Virus Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reginaldsnoo, Aug 17, 2014.

1. reginaldsnoo macrumors newbie

I have seen a few threads about this, but I want to get clear about a specific thing, before finally deciding whether to allow Windows back into my life.

The used Macbook Pro I am buying has a dual boot system with OSX 10.9 and Windows.
    My question is, if the machine is booted up in OSX, and I go on the net, is it still possible for the Windows section to get a virus, even though I am booted in OSX?

All help appreciated, thanks

Al

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, it's not possible.

Windows uses an NTFS file system and cannot write to HFS+ file systems, which is used by OS X.

So if your Windows side gets a virus, it'll stay there and won't go anywhere.

3. reginaldsnoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the swift reply. But ...

I know that a virus can't travel to the Mac side, but my question was whether it is still possible for the Windows side to get a virus, even though the system is booted in OSX...

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

It actually works the same way in reverse. OSX can't write to NTFS, so the virus couldn't be written to the windows partition.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, because the same argument applies.

OS X can't write to NTFS.

6. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Not only do they use different file systems but Safari is pretty secure, you won't get a virus unless you visit some VERY shady websites.

7. reginaldsnoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for these replies guys. Wow, I only posted the question less than an hour ago!
    Your help is appreciated

Al

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Luckily its apples and oranges and when you're in OS X, you cannot catch a windows virus and infect your windows partition. Nor can it hop over to your OS X partition if you do get one when running in windows.