Dual boot confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dorsey, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dorsey macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I've just called Apple to order a new MacBook Pro

I told the guy I would be using it for work a fair amount so needed to dual boot it with Windows. My prior research had lead me to believe this was possible for free by using the built-in Boot Camp software (Windows licence required obviously) but he assured me I needed to buy Parallels - which i've gone ahead with but even now don't agree with.

I'm not bothered about quickly multi-tasking between Apple/Windows, booting up freshly in Windows alone and getting the best performance possible from it is more important.

Could somebody kindly clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Kev

2. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

He probably didn't understand your needs.

You can perfectly have both OSs installed and dual boot, the "feature" is called bootcamp and there is even an utility that comes installed with the macbook to help you do this process easily and with no technical help. The Parallels thing is shenanigans.

3. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

I told him I planned on using Boot Camp but he said I would STILL need Parallels!!

Naughty naughty...

4. hachiman macrumors regular

He's probably thinking you want to run a simulator. If that is every a requirement, you've got VirtualBox, it's free and better.

I think he's just trying to extract more $ale$ out of you. Working on commission can make people desperate at times I guess.

5. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

There's always some numb-nut running around the block. Was this official Apple or a third-party shop?

6. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

The official and he was a pretty decent bloke, pretty much talked me out of needing 512GB by saying 256 would be more than enough for standard use.

I'm thinking he just didn't know his stuff properly!!

7. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Jee, I would think otherwise, if this is your main computer AND you are going to use Bootcamp, then I would put 512 (which is what I'm getting).

My setup will be, 128 for Windows, rest for OSX where I'll put Apps and heavy access documents (itunes stuff, video caché, documents I need on the move, all the coding stuff) and then a 2TB mobile external drive that can be put in the briefcase with low-access stuff and such.

This guy needs another job -_-

8. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

Grrrrr!!!!

So, I've been advised to go from 8GB to 16GB but to stick with 256 as opposed to 512. And I've also been advised I'll need Parallels and not just Boot Camp.

I'm an accountant, Mac will be used at home for the family (browsing, photo storage, light iTunes useage) whilst also needing Windows for my desktop based accounting software (supported by a mixture of Skydrive & Dropbox)

It's bloody confusing out there for a non-techie you know!!!

9. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Okay, this one will be free ;-)

For that use case, you don't need 16GB. Do you have any applications that you know eat a lot of resources? It sounds more like you got the 16GB so that you can run Parallels, which we already concluded you won't need.

However. The RAM cannot be upgraded later on, so it is a good idea to get now what you might need in two years, in that case, 16GB is a good decision.

If you're on a budget, then go ahead with the 256GB because although it is not tech-friendly, it is upgradeable by maybe a techie friend you probably have around. If you can pull up the cash though, cancel this order and get the other model, which comes "free" with a Nvidia dGPU 750M plus 16GB and 512SSD.

Do check your current computer though, and the amount of disk space you are currently using. Then add another ~100GB for Windows under Bootcamp, and make the sum. The you will know more or less what you need... But you can always buy an external hard drive and put low access stuff on there, this is a cheaper option.

10. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

That's really bloody helpful, thanks for taking the time to write that.

As it stands I'm coming in at about £1850. So, I guess I need to decide whether the extra £350 is worth it...

11. mac.ross macrumors member

I'd have to go with what ElderBrE said.

You really don't need Parallels.

Parallels basically lets you run Windows programs while *in* OSX - it's pretty handy but definitely not needed if you don't need to instantly switch between things (Rebooting takes seconds anyway).

I'd just install it using Bootcamp like you were originally going to do (The Apple Wizard will step-by-step help you split up your storage drive and install the Windows operating system side-by-side with OSX.)

12. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

Called Apple, cancelled the whole order then put a new one through for 8GB memory & 256 storage for now - as you say, can always be added later.

The other bonus is it'll now be here Fri instead of 7-10 days so I'll get to play with it on my birthday!!! (Sat)

13. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Enjoy, you can always return it if you find it's not enough hard drive. By the way, only the hard drive is replaceable in current ones, not the RAM.

14. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I think your ram choice is fine if you aren't going to use parallels. You definitely do not need parallels, if you are fine rebooting. However, I would have went with the 512 ssd. Windows will use roughly 100 gigs of your 256 space. Of course you can go with externals, but if it were me... I would want more space on board.

15. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

I did suggest that but again, the Apple guy himself suggested 256 would be absolutely fine for my needs - he actually said Windows itself wouldn't take up any space!!

Can upgrade the internal memory at a later date?

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You don't need Parallels. If you decide you want it down the road you can install it (or Fusion) at a later date and set it up to run your Boot Camp partition.

You still have to always consider the source. A true expert would be overqualified to be sitting around taking orders over the phone. Always corroborate and validate as well. With any company it's a toss up with regard to CSR's. Some are good. Some are not.

...and there's a clear indication that the source is dubious. Windows doesn't magically take up no space.

Answered in post 9 in this thread.

17. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

RAM memory cannot be upgraded. Hard drive memory, well, until this new MBP you could upgrade it with technical know-how, but now that I think about it, the new MBPs may be different. To know this we should wait for someone to open up the baby and post some info. This should take a few more days.

If you want to got hat route, I suggest waiting for that, or simply grabbing the 512 SSD.

18. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

So even if it can be done, is it a case of having to do it privately and not directly through Apple themselves?

19. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

Yes, Apple won't do it in the case that it can be done.