Dual Boot imac : subject to Viruses?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WizardHunt, Jun 5, 2007.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Hello,
    I am new at this imac thing and wonder if I use a dual boot system on the imac or use bootcamp will viruses be a issue ? I know if I use a imac that viruses normally are not a issue but if we incorporate windows on the system, then are we asking for trouble or does imac protect everything?

Thanks
    WizardHunt

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

if you use boot camp to run Windows then you are subject to the same problems as any other PC. These problems should stay confined to the Windows partition and not affect the OSX partition.

3. Maxington macrumors 6502

Yes, your windows partition can be vulnerable to normal viruses. However, the partition is separate from your OSX OS.

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Don't browse websites you don't trust. Don't download file attachments to emails from spammers or with suspicious contents. In other words, treat your OS installations like small children that are going to have to live with your mistakes and poor treatment.

If you just exercise caution, you should have no problem with viruses. And even if you did have a virus, it would be very unlikely to damage your OS X installation.

5. stuff99 macrumors 6502

If you ever owned a PC before just treat the same precauations you took before with the PC partition.