Dual Boot Mac OS X and Windows 7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haroldg12, Jan 18, 2016.

1. haroldg12 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbok pro Intel core i7 Boot rom version MBP81.0047.B27 and a windows 7 64 bit. I have been dual booting for a couple years now,but it has been mostly in Win 7. The last couple weeks I started to work on Mac OS X, but when I turn on my laptop it goes straight to Mac OS X and gets stuck on the loading screen. I waited for literally 30 mins to 1 hour and it wouldn't do anything but stay on the part. I tried to reboot several times and it would just get stuck on that part. The part I am talking about is where you see the icon of MAC with a bar at the bottom. Similar to the image I attached. There are times where it does successfully boot up into the OS, but that's after several attempts. I've been loooking online for anything, but haven't found a solution yet. Does anyone know what is happening and how I can fix it?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Have you tried to repair the disk in boot mode? You can access this by holding command + R immediately after powering on the computer and using Disk Utility to repair your OS X partition. What year is your Mac and what version of OS X are you running?

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

If you press the R key to boot into recovery mode you can try installing / repairing you OS X installation
    If you press the ALT key at startup you should also be able to choose whether to boot into OSX or Win 7
    Have you installed any new KEXT (kernel extensions recently by adding some new Mac OS X software, if so you can delete these or alternatively is the MAC OS X disk VERY VERY full?
    To start the machine without loading these use the safe boot option https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

HTH

4. haroldg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick replies guys. I have successfully logged into the Mac OS and now repairing disk as I type. It says it will take about 7 mins so we'll see what happens. I'll update you to see what I find

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If Repair Disk finds no errors, try to see if the computer will safe-boot by booting while holding down the shift key.

6. haroldg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

when I hit the verify disk, it gave me an error stating that "The volumne Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired" . i need to find my Mac installation disk and use Disk utility repair. I don't know where my mac installation disk is? I haven't needed to use it in like 3 years. Can i go somewhere else online to get one?

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If you are using OS 10.7 or newer, you don't need the installation disk. Just boot into the recovery partition by booting while holding down Command-r.

8. haroldg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually using OS 10.6.8, but I got it to work now. I had to reformat the HD and use one of my time machine backups that I must've done last year, lol. It took about 3 hours to re-image and after it was done I restarted my laptop a couple times and it restarted fine. The only problem is that I am seeing stuff that I saved from last year, lol. Good thing I backed up all my folders/files before I reformatted so I can just retrieve them from my external drive.