dual boot Macbook 2,1 without bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bsuperman1, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Bsuperman1 macrumors newbie

I am trying to install Windows 8.1 along side with 10.8.4 on my Macbook 2,1 white. I have 3gigs of ram installed with 1 terabyte hdd. I tried using bootcamp but the option for creating a win install flash drive isn't available. I tried using a dvd install but that doesn't work. So is there a why to dual boot mac without boot camp?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When you first open Boot Camp Assistant it should ask you whether you want to make the flash drive. Just uncheck that box and try to run through the wizard again. It should let you partition the drive and download the appropriate Boot Camp software and drivers for after you install Windows.

3. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Will Win8 run on a MB 2,1? Not aware of any way to dual boot without Boot Camp. I obviously could be wrong. I believe the older MB hardware when using Boot Camp is tied to using the optical method of install. Again I could be wrong. Good Luck.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Well, you can make a bootable Windows USB drive through any utility (Google it) and then use Bootcamp to just create the partition. Then, reboot on to the USB drive and install Windows. Download the Bootcamp drivers from the internet and use those. It should work just fine. However, I have heard of some instances where a MacBook with a SuperDrive won't install Windows from a USB stick (happened to me on my OptiBay'd mid-2010 MBP).

Best of luck.

Raptor

5. Bsuperman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i create the second partition and managed to install 8.1 Pro 64bit. I'm using rEFInd to manage the booting between the two OSs. Now I am having problems with the drivers. When I first installed 8.1, the only drivers that worked out the box were wifi,ethernet, and touchpad without the double click second option. Then, I installed the latest BootCamp 5 drivers and restarted. The sound still did not work and the display was heavily dim. I managed to change the adaptive display setting like google told me and it still did not work. So I am at a another stand still