Dual Boot Macbook Pro Core Duo OSX 10.6.8 & XP Pro SP3 Issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pleaseineed, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pleaseineed, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

pleaseineed macrumors newbie

So the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD is booted from, disk utility used to delete partitions & 10.6.8 is installed with other updates from the built in software update successfully. Boot Camp is started & ran alright then rebooted. Then XP disc is booted from, formats bootcamp partition (3) as NTFS & runs as expected then it restarts after finishing format & loading. It says to press option to choose the XP disc for ejection, then the windows drive is booted from for the 1st time and says...

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report problem as :
    load needed DLLs for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Macbook Pro 2.16 Core Duo A1150
    Slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 32 Bit (Originally a Retail Version XP Pro SP1 32bit disc, then had SP3 32bit slipstreamed)
    All US English

After searching & trying everything i can think of, could you please help?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Are you using Boot Camp Assistant to install windows?

3. pleaseineed thread starter macrumors newbie

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which specific Mac model? What is the source of our XPSP3 install media, what specific edition is it? Home, Pro? 32/64? US English? ...

B

5. pleaseineed thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 2.16 Core Duo A1150
    Slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 32 Bit (Originally a XP Pro SP1 disc, then had SP3 slipstreamed)
    All US English

btw thanks for your quick replies, this place is awesome

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you know your slipstream is good? Have you installed from it successfully elsewhere? (e.g. another machine, VMWare Fusion).

Was the original disc retail or OEM?

B

7. pleaseineed, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

pleaseineed thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i searched before and made sure the xp pro is the retail version, big box and all... never used too :]

the slipstream looks fine, used "AutoStreamer" & seems great. it's never been installed anywhere else but i think the disc is alright. the XP Pro SP1 disk was first used in this same way but i got the same results so i slipstreamed after searching but it's doing the same thing.

btw everything was wiped clean.. partitions and all after trying with XP SP1 & reinstalled snow leopard then tried installing windows again with XP SP3.

8. pleaseineed, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

i rewrote the 1st post so it'll make more sense & answer the more recent questions. to those who are trying to help, thanks.. i really appreciate it. may this mystery be solved & help others with the same issue.

9. pleaseineed thread starter macrumors newbie

i changed the title cause maybe the newer version dropped XP support, your thoughts?

btw where would "needed DLLs for kernel" come from?

10. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

after loading xp did you use your osx startup disc to add bootcamp drivers etc

11. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

btw where would "needed DLLs for kernel" come from?[/QUOTE]

sounds like a glitch on disc as it not loading the dll files needed

12. pleaseineed, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

"after loading xp did you use your osx startup disc to add bootcamp drivers etc "

>after loading xp = after xp is installed?

"sounds like a glitch on disc as it not loading the dll files needed"

>which disc is that.. so the dll files come from the XP cd, OSX dvd or a partition (if so which one)?

>when do i & which disk is inserted next after ejecting the XP cd (which is by pressing option 1st thing after the computer reboots from formating from the XP cd)?

the only thing that's done with xp is booting to the cd which brings up the old blue screen which it 1st starts loading things (from the xp cd?), formats the boot camp partition, loads something (from the xp cd?) right after for a brief moment then reboots.

i hear that i'm supposed to hold option when it starts, select the the xp cd, click the little arrow under the xp cd to eject it & then click the little arrow under the windows partition for booting to the xp partiton for the 1st time. then i get a black sceen that says...

btw when i first tried, the xp cd was left in since formating but it came to a black sceen that said something about "hal"

13. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

>after loading xp = after xp is installed?

"sounds like a glitch on disc as it not loading the dll files needed"

>which disc is that.. so the dll files come from the XP cd, OSX dvd or a partition (if so which one)?

>when do i & which disk is inserted next after ejecting the XP cd (which is by pressing option 1st thing after the computer reboots from formating from the XP cd)?
    dll files are pc system files needed to run. are you sure it finished loading as comp will restart 2>3 times whilst loading. after loaded you insert osx disc .

the only thing that's done with xp is booting to the cd which brings up the old blue screen which it 1st starts loading things (from the xp cd?), formats the boot camp partition, loads something (from the xp cd?) right after for a brief moment then reboots.

i hear that i'm supposed to hold option when it starts, select the the xp cd, click the little arrow under the xp cd to eject it & then click the little arrow under the windows partition for booting to the xp partiton for the 1st time. then i get a black sceen that says...

btw when i first tried, the xp cd was left in since formating but it came to a black sceen that said something about "hal"[/QUOTE]

----------

[/quote]

14. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

----------

[/quote][/QUOTE]

dll files are pc system files needed to run.did it finish loading as sometimes comp will restart 2>3 times during installation after finish you need to run your osx disc in it to add bootcamp drivers etc. can find more info in apple support under bootcamp how to

----------

[/QUOTE]

dll files are pc system files needed to run.did it finish loading as sometimes comp will restart 2>3 times during installation after finish you need to run your osx disc in it to add bootcamp drivers etc. can find more info in apple support under bootcamp how to[/QUOTE]

i'm running osx 10.6.8 and windows 7 ultimate

15. pleaseineed, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

"dll files are pc system files needed to run.did it finish loading as sometimes comp will restart 2>3 times during installation after finish you need to run your osx disc in it to add bootcamp drivers etc. can find more info in apple support under bootcamp how to"

i've read the apple Boot Camp manual, FAQs & other things there.. also things from other sites.

>>where do the DLL files come from?

>>is this correct? v

the next step i hear is that i'm supposed to (or the install will corrupt and have a "hal" error like i already experienced) hold option when it starts, select the the xp cd, click the little arrow under the xp cd to eject it >>>>(is there a missing step here?)<<<< & then click the little arrow under the windows partition for booting to the xp partiton for the 1st time.

now it immediately freezes at a black screen that says something about a "hal" error (when the XP cd was left in) or (when i follow "the next step i hear..." thing i just said above) the black screen says...

16. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

Please contact your support person to report this problem.[/QUOTE]

as it says error in software xp disc not loading dll files for xp to run.....disc has glitch on it...

17. pleaseineed, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

>>>>is this correct? v

the next step i hear is that i'm supposed to (or the install will corrupt and have a "hal" error like i already experienced) hold option when it starts, select the the xp cd, click the little arrow under the xp cd to eject it >>>>(is there a missing step here?)<<<< & then click the little arrow under the windows partition for booting to the xp partiton for the 1st time. now it immediately freezes at a black screen that says...

if i skip the ">>>>is this correct?" step & just leave the XP cd in, the black screen instead says something about a "hal" error.

"as it says error in software xp disc not loading dll files for xp to run.....disc has glitch on it..."

>>>>did you read how the XP cd is ejected & notice how i asked if there's a missing step there? when does the XP cd load the DLL files?

i'm starting to think despite what i've read, i may need to leave the XP cd in after XP formats till the install finishes (it could be more of a "hal" error).

18. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

it loads when you let it finish its loading when asks restart restart in xp cd ,when finish loading will auto start in xp then go into register screen etc