dual boot to 'test drive' lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stevemiller, Jul 15, 2011.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65832

so i timed my mbp purchse so i could get it with SL installed, but within the window to qualify for a free update to lion when its released.

i am curious to try out lion, but of course i don't want to rely on it as a primary OS for work till i'm thoroughly convinced it won't **** the bed.

can anybody using the GM speculate on whether, when it comes out, will i likely be able to resize my current SL partition, create a second partition to do the whole SL->Lion installion song and dance, and then finally when the time is right, have that Lion partition 'absorb' my original SL partition? (so i'm back to just a single boot machine)

don't know if it makes a difference, but i'm running a 250gb ssd

i mainly ask because when i first updated to snow leopard, i encountered some frustrating issues. over the ensuing months, i ended up reformatting back to leopard, trying SL again after a point update or two, going back to leopard AGAIN, and finally finding SL reasonable on my 3rd try. Thats a lotta reformatting that could have been far less painless had i just dual booted till i was happy :p

thanks!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You can make two partitions and install both.

3. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, you can resize your partition, make a new partition, and install Lion on it, no problem.

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Thats what i did. Partitioned the drive. Loaded Lion. Messed around with it for a week. Will wait for the official version. Btw, i couldnt erase lion from SL boot. Basically to erase the partitioned Lion, you need to boot from an external source that runs Lion also. I could set up an external Lion boot, but im too lazy. Will wait for official version to erase my beta lion.