Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr joker777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Hello,

I am new to the mac world and haven't used a mac since i was a wee lad in school with the Apple II.

Anyways I have a fairly expensive $500 program that only runs on windows and uses a usb security dongle. I have been unsuccessful using crossover to run the program. I do however have a hdd from a HP G60 laptop that died. The hdd is still fully intact and i have all my data still on it. I have backed up most of the data but was wondering if there was an easy way to boot from the external drive just to run my program. I currently have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 500gb drive. I do not have my windows 7 install disc as it did not come with my HP laptop and don't have the disposable income to purchase a copy of it. I would like to keep all my data intact on the hdd if possible.

Thanks

mr joker777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
:(

Is it possible to create a separate partition on my MBP and then copy my other hdd over to that partition to run windows 7. Or would i have to install windows 7 then install the needed programs/files to my MBP while running windows

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Is it possible to create a separate partition on my MBP and then copy my other hdd over to that partition to run windows 7. Or would i have to install windows 7 then install the needed programs/files to my MBP while running windows

The second option would be your best bet.

Nov 28, 2010
located

Sadly you can't copy your existing Windows install to a Boot Camp partition. You need to install Windows and then all the applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.