Dual Boot with Ms-Dos

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Anitramane, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Hello. I’m on Mac Os 10.9.4 and in school we do a lot of work in Ms-Dos.

Is it possible to dual boot Ms-Dos on a Mac?

I don’t accept Virtual Machines.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I found this old thread that seems to suggest you can do it or at least the earliest intel macs could.

Why don't you want to use a virtual machine? Something like DOSBox (I think it's still developed) would run far faster than any machine that was originally designed for DOS.

Also out of curiosity what do you still use DOS for, I wasn't aware that anyone really still used it for anything...

3. Anitramane thread starter macrumors 6502

I just don’t like it. And it feels a bit like cheating.

Computerscience stuff.

4. crjackson2134, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Well, you haven't gotten many responses so I'll throw in a little more. If you have a computer booting with EFI, it's a daunting task. I won't say impossible (because I believe it is) but would probably require booting from a 3rd party boot loader and an MBR partition. I started a project like this a very long time ago but once I saw the difficulty in the task, I went a different way.

You can make a bootable DOS CD/DVD/USB Flash much easier and probably achieve your related objectives.

Just make the CD/DVD and use a small dedicated drive formatted with an FAT file system for storage and DOS apps.

I eventually installed MSDOS 6.x in a virtual machine and it was faster than any native DOS machine I'd ever used. It works perfectly and it's fast.

If you want to use it for DOS gaming, I recommend Boxer/DosBox. Boxer is a gaming front end for DosBox. Talk about awesomsauce, this works great for all your old DOS games, and makes it SO SIMPLE to install and use.

If you want to just play around with a genuine DOS interface and some code slinging, then make a DOS VM. You won't be sorry and you'll save yourself several hours and gray hairs. ANYTHING is possible, but I won't do it again.

For having direct access to hardware (for instance, Firmware Updates), then do some googling and download or make a bootable CD/DVD/USB Thumbdrive.

5. Anitramane thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

USB booting Ms-Dos 6,22 works perfectly through Usb. Going to do some stuff there now. Will keep you updated!

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Glad it worked out for you.

7. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Your workflow on creating the MS DOS 6.22 USB?

Could you please share your workflow on creating the MS DOS 6.22 USB Flash Drive? Thanks! :cool: