dual boot with time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sbchilton, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Sbchilton macrumors newbie

After a recent accident with my personal Macbook I have moved it's HDD into my work Macbook Pro with aid of an OptiBay where it will stay until I buy a new personal MBP next year.

Both HDD's run Snow Leopard but have different applications, settings, documents etc...
    I have noticed that time machine in each system has it's own settings but backs up to just 1 sparsebundle. Could anyone advise if this would still let me restore each respective system in the event of disaster.

It's may be worth noting that the work backup is more about a system restore than documents because important work files are stored on a central server.

Any advise on this would be great.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, but I think you'd want each system's TM to back up to its own sparsebundle file, and I'm very surprised that they seem to be backing up to just one sparsebundle. I just don't think that would work -- what happens if the two systems have a different version of a system file, with the same name and same location? It seems like it would only be possible to back up one version, and not the other...

Do the two systems have the same "Computer Name"? (System Preferences-->Sharing-->Computer Name.) I ask because the computer name is usually part of the filename of the sparsebundle file. Maybe you just need to ensure the two systems have two different computer names, and you'll get hopefully two sparsebundle files, one matching each system.