Dual Boot XP and Lion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MunkeyMac, Jul 5, 2012.

1. MunkeyMac macrumors newbie

Ok, so i've seen posts on this in the past few days but non of them seem to be working for me.

The main post i've noticed is that if you put the Windows XP disc into the drive and restart the Mac holding down Option when it loads back up the disc will appear as a boot option and you click that one and it will install. This seems to be the only real way of getting XP installed since Bootcamp in Lion no longer supports XP.

But my issue is that when i insert the disc and press option i dont get any disc icon to click on and i was wondering if i was going about this wrong somehow.

this is what i've done so far.....i've partitioned my HDD so that i have 50GB for XP (a little much i know but i use 3D Animation programs), i then took the iso for XP that i downloaded from the Academic Alliance website as my university is part of the Microsoft program and burt it to both DVD and CD (encase it made some difference). Then i put the disc in the drive and turned off my Macbook Pro and then back on holding down the Option key (a.k.a Alt).

This is as far as i can get, nothing shows up other then the main drive and the recovery drive.

Is there anyone else out there that has tried to install windows XP on a MacBook Pro Mid-2009 15" running Lion 10.7.4 (or something similar) and managed to get it to work?

2. MunkeyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so i fixed the issue....it seems that for some reason (most likely burning it 24X) the CD hadn't burnt correctly which was causing the issue....i burnt it again (well a few times at different speeds) and finally managed to get it working.

THE NEW PROBLEM

The install i had was Windows XP SP1 but SP2 is required for the installation of the Snow Leopard disc with all the drivers on, until i get SP2 i can't use the internet on XP as the Network drivers are not there.

How do i update this to XP SP2 without the internet, someone suggested downloading the Service Pack 2 exe from Microsofts website but im getting errors when i try and run it in SP1.

Any suggestions?

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What's the error? Are you sure you got the service pack itself and not the service pack downloader?

4. MunkeyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response.....

The error im getting is "The updatebr.inf file is invalid", i've tired installing SP2 and going straight to SP3 and both give me the same error message.

as for if they're the downloaders, im pretty sure they're not, i got them from the Microsoft Service Pack download page...

here is where i got SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

and SP3: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Good good, just have to check.

From what I can find, the only people reporting this issue are running XP x64 (which requires a specifc SP2 for x64, and doesn't have an SP3). The ISO you got is definitely x86?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. MunkeyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realized that them links i was directed to where only for 32Bit, i am indeed running 64bit and found the correct update file here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17791

which has given me Windows Professional XP 64bit SP2 but now im running into a new problem.

When i insert the Snow Leopard disc that originally came with my Macbook Pro to install the drivers and bootcamp support etc (which is what the tutorial i was following said to do) im getting this message...

"Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista"

Now that im running SP2 and i've checked inside the folders of the Snow Leopard disc and there is a Bootcamp 64bit installer so i know that 64bit is supported i dont understand why im getting this message.

8. AdrianK, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Welcome to XP 64bit:
    Since bootcamp on the 10.6.0 disk also supports Vista, that's probably what the x64 drivers were intended for.

9. MunkeyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i think i found the main issue here, something i wasn't aware of and now im kicking myself for spending over 6 hours on this now.

Bootcamp will not support 64Bit XP, according to the documentation out on the net it never has (although some say they got it working back in version 1) and never will.

This REALLY sucks, now i have an OS installed that im unable to do anything with....i dont have XP 32Bit, all i have is the 64Bit version and im really not wanting to go out and spend around £45 on a copy when it's only going to be my secondary OS that i'll be going on once in a while.

Question
    Is there any way of making the 64Bit XP into a 32Bit XP or is it possible at all to use the 64Bit Key on a 32Bit copy, i know this is possible with Vista and Seven but haven't found any way of doing it with XP but if someone knows of a way please let me know.

I just really wish that Softimage XSi had a Mac version so i wouldn't have this problem in the first place......damn you AutoDesk.