Dual Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notatrumpetpro, Mar 1, 2008.

1. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

I tried searching the boards but couldn't find what I was looking for so...

I'm wanting to know if I dual boot via bootcamp what the default boot is. When I turn the power button on will I have the option to choose A: OSX or B: XP or does it auto boot into OSX and in order to have the option you have to hold down a key during startup. I asked two different people today at an Apple store and like always they gave me a confused look and said they didn't know. (Are all or most Apple stores like this? I feel like the people working there never have any idea...or even use a mac!)

I hope that makes sense, and thanks in advance!

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you can set it to whichever you want in system preferences/bootcamp options in bootcamp

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

You can set the OS of choice to be what you want. I know some people who default boot into windows and if they need to use mac os they hold down option during boot-up to choose mac os. The OS default on bootup can be changed at anytime in either windows or mac (both os'es have control panel settings for this).

Apple geniuses normally know the answers. Apple salesmen normally do not.

4. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

Alright, that makes sense. But you would think all Apple salesmen would also know about the products they are trying to sell. It would be like going to a car dealership and asking a salesman, "What kind of engine does that have? What kind of MPG does that car get?" etc. The mechanics would be the experts but the salesmen would know about the product they are trying to sell...

5. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Thats what you think and thats how it should be. Unfortunately there isn't really a standard to the hiring process for an apple salesman.

-JoE

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Well you've heard the joke right:

Q: What is the difference between a used car salesman and a computer salesman?

A: A used car salesman KNOWS when they're lying to you.