Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
This thread is totally speculation, but what do people think of the ability to dual-boot a retina-display MBP into Windows? I have read articles that a retina screen actually reports the original resolution to the OS, and also that OS X implements a HiDPI feature to support these screens. Do we have any proof that Windows will be able to work with a resolution-doubled screen?

Or do we think that dual-booting into Windows was just a nice-to-have anyways, so Apple could theoretically not support bootcamp/dual-boot in the 2012 MBP?

I personally am still interested in a 3360x2100 MBP, but also want to be able to play games under boot camp.

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
This thread is totally speculation, but what do people think of the ability to dual-boot a retina-display MBP into Windows? I have read articles that a retina screen actually reports the original resolution to the OS, and also that OS X implements a HiDPI feature to support these screens. Do we have any proof that Windows will be able to work with a resolution-doubled screen?

Or do we think that dual-booting into Windows was just a nice-to-have anyways, so Apple could theoretically not support bootcamp/dual-boot in the 2012 MBP?

I personally am still interested in a 3360x2100 MBP, but also want to be able to play games under boot camp.

If the resolution is doubled then I wouldn't think there would be a big problem for windows to be run on a retina display, since it's basically just take the pixel and make it 2x bigger (on windows). However I'm not sure how it would work out if the resolution was 1.7x or something along those lines.

I'm sure Apple has thought of something already.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
One solution would be some kind of interpolation mode in the video drivers to make each pixel reported by the OS into 4 pixels displayed on the screen (assuming the end resolution is 4x something standard).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.