Dual-booting Linux

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Azarantara, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Azarantara macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking to dual boot Linux Fedora on my Mac, alongside Mavericks.

I've seen that this isn't quite possible with BootCamp, as that's Windows only. I've seen some alternatives like rEFInd and stuff, but I'd like to hear your input.

Basically, OS X will still be my main OS, so I'd like my Mac to function as normal, booting into Mavericks unless I press a key during startup, like with BootCamp. Which method lets me do this?

Also - in terms of compatibility, I use an external display through the thunderbolt port on my MacBook Air a lot. Is there anything I need to be careful with here?

Thanks.

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I see no-one responded to you here. I would (and do in fact) look to use a Virtual Machine solution (Virtual box is openware) and run the linux install in a full screen mode.

3. J232022 macrumors member

I agree , in the old days it was better to install a linux distro if you wanted the best performance possible , but today virtual machines have gotten so much faster and more reliable it really is good enough . Fedora is a great linux distro too good choice . Virtualbox is a great free virtual machine program . But if you want better performance I would recommend buying vmware fusion or parallels . Virtualbox is good but the paid programs have way more features .