Dual Booting with Macbook Air/Vista

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by XRogue101789, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XRogue101789 macrumors newbie

My friend is a hardcore Windows user, but he wants to buy a Macbook Air because it is an extremely efficient lightweight machine. He was wondering if the multi-touch mousepad interface would work with Windows Vista, and just how it performed in general. Any advice?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

vista doesnt have support for multi touch, so any gestures would jsut look silly:p

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

two-fingered right click and scroll work fine :).

4. viking396 macrumors member

viking396

I have been dual booting Leopard and Vista since I bought my Air the day it came out (actually talked a Best Buy manager to sell me one the day prior to selling officially in his store). As people said, no gestures but it does work fine. Only big negative for me is the Aero interface is hard on the video, it makes the machine run much warmer than it does in Leopard, not enough to not use it mind you, other than this point it has run very well.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

The basic functions all work in one way or another.

6. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

One thing to consider

I use my MBA with Bootcamp/Vista - Vista runs great.

You do need a USB (powered) Optical Drive to install Vista - no remote disc

I purchased the external Apple Super Drive - I've since read that the external XBOX HDDVD drive works (I had one - damnit).

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

I do not have an xbox, but bought one for almost nothing after Blu-Ray won the "fight" to use as a CD-ROM for my EEE. It works great with the air and I would highly recommend it.

8. dual64bit macrumors 6502

I also have an MBA with boot camp and Windows. I use parallels to run the boot camped Windows parallel to Leopard as well.

Works great.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I tried it on my Air, and the two finger scroll was a disaster - once you started to scroll it continued on its own and was almost impossible to stop. I've researched this and it seems to be a common problem with no current resolution.

Does yours do the same, and if not how did you stop it?

10. Pupator macrumors member

I was in the same boat as your friend. I'm a PC user that wanted the Air for its hardware specs.

I've had the MBA for about 2 months now and I absolutely love it. I ONLY run Vista. The two or three times I've booted into OSX I've found it to be slower and to run hotter than Vista. I mostly use it for web browsing but I also do a fair amount of word processing, run some of my work applications, and sync my phone/pda. I have Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 installed and it runs like a champ. The only application that runs at all slow is iTunes. I don't run Photoshop (CS3) often, but when I do it works fine. The only time I notice it getting hot is if I'm using the laptop for more than an hour in "High Performance" mode.

A few things worth noting:
    If you're only doing web browsing, set your power mode to "balanced" instead of high performance. This keeps it cooler.

The touchpad works fine for scrolling and right-clicking. You will not have gestures or tap to click.

It does a better job at waking from sleep than any notebook I've ever had. From sleep to awake+online is 8 seconds.

I have no problems watching SD or HD video content in iTunes.

You'll need to get some screen grab software because as far as I can tell there isn't any other way to take a screen shot.

11. spilgrim macrumors newbie

MBA with Vista dual boot

All-

Lots of great ideas on here, thanks for that! However, what is better Bootcamp 3.1 or Parallels?

I just bought this and want to set up dual boot. I cannot find bootcamp 3.1 anywhere (i use to have) but accidentily through out on "spring Cleaning".

Please help! THanks...

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Maybe a more recent post with Bootcamp advice would be useful? You have replied to a 2008 post.

You should find that the Bootcamp assistant on the mac OS will provide all the drivers needed and offer help.

It would also help if you stated which mac you actually have (type, year, spec) :)

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Forums like this have a blanket "look for a similar thread before opening up your own" but they should always warn you, "Rely on 3 years old information OK?"

15. solderguy1 macrumors member

Oh my god, can't believe I never heard this. Just tried it with my 2011 MBA and it works great, free superdrive wannabe. Thanks for the old post, even if you're long gone.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Because this thread is from 2008.