dual booting with older OSX version

Discussion in 'macOS' started by audiophiler, Sep 23, 2015.

1. audiophiler macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!! hope all is well :)

I have a situation where I do recording with my guitar on my IMac and M-Audio stopped driver support for the audio interface that I have on Mac OS X 10.10.1. I have tried to no avail to install maverick on a 2nd external hard drive but it updates to 10.10.5 and when I try installing Yosemite it comes back telling me that the package is to old for the OS i'm running. HELP!! I dont have the cash to put down on another interface so i'm trying to make due with what I have.. ANY AND ALL HELP is definitely APPRECIATED :)

2. MJWMac1988 macrumors member

MJWMac1988

Is your Mavericks installer on an external hard drive or a USB flash drive? Or do you keep trying to download it from the "Purchases" tab in the App Store?

What age/model is your iMac?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My suggestion:

You will need an external drive.

Install the OS of your choice onto the EXTERNAL drive, along with the apps you need to do your audio work.

When you want to record, reboot to the external drive and run things that way.

I realize it will involve a little "loss of convenience" by having to reboot to the older OS, but if no current drivers are going to be available, you have to do what you have to do...

4. audiophiler thread starter macrumors newbie

i've downloaded it from the app store and i also have a physical disk of the installer. i have installed the OS onto an external drive using both the downloaded installer AND the CD with the same results

as far as the age and model.. its about 2 years old i think. dont know the model of the top of my head though.. i'm at work.

5. MJWMac1988 macrumors member

MJWMac1988

Unless I am misunderstanding something in both of your comments, it sounds as if you are saying that both of your Mavericks installers are installing Yosemite. If it is happening exactly that way -- with two unrelated installers no less -- then this is definitely one-in-a-trillion situation; because both installers could not have the same "flaw." The only common denominators between the two installers (that I can think of) are your computer, your external hard drive and your internet connection. If the external hard drive was blank (erased) each time you started the installation process, then that hard drive isn't the problem. That leaves only your computer and your internet connection (maybe Apple's servers are somehow, in a one-in-a-trillion, Twilight Zone way, interfering with the installation; yes, I know; it sounds totally unrealistic).

If your computer is about two years old, it means it should be too old to have shipped with Yosemite, unless you bought it last year in some sort of closeout sale. At that age, it should have originally shipped with either Mountain Lion or Mavericks. Right? That means Mavericks should be compatible with it.

Without a more detailed description of exactly what happens, step by step, I don't know what to suggest. Do you know anyone with a Mac who would let you connect your external hard drive to his/her Mac in order to try to install Mavericks there?

6. Tech198, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

Tech198 macrumors G4

That's a good way with external and boot to that, but why just not install VMWare, Parallels, or Virtual Box?

Depends on the age of the Mac, it may be the only way..Since if the Mac is too new for Mavericks it won't start from power up (even if u had Mavericks on disc) your mac won't boot t it if the Mac is too new for the installer.

The reason why get the error in in the OS because u'r running the Mavericks installer from Yosemite.. same problem here. Yosemite came after Mavericks.

older OS installs cannot be used on newer Macs, since unlike windows where u get the chip-set drivers *separately* from motherboard manufacture. Apple has it all on the mavericks installer.

If the purchased mac came after mavericks was released mavericks installer doesn't know about the new hardware.

7. audiophiler thread starter macrumors newbie

i apologize for any confusion.. today has been a rather hectic day and i leave for another job for about 30 days so i wont be able to continue with working on this issue :( i do appreciate all the help guys