Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkieBiker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Arkansas
I didn't catch when this would be available on the iPhone 7 Plus? Will it be an OS upgrade (so soon after iOS 10 is released), or will it be an APP that Apple provides?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Curious that it won't be available at launch. I'm wondering if they omitted this from iOS 10 so that people couldn't dig through the software and make announcements about the features early... not like that really mattered lol.

Last edited:

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Idiots that it won't be available at launch. I'm wondering if they omitted this from iOS 10 so that people couldn't dig through the software and make announcements about the features early... not like that really mattered lol.

Orrrrrr .... it wasn't ready yet.

Not idiocy, not some nefarious plan. Just not quite ready for shipment yet.

Reactions: Azzin

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Orrrrrr .... it wasn't ready yet.

Not idiocy, not some nefarious plan. Just not quite ready for shipment yet.
I wasn't claiming idiocy or nefarious plan. Was just curious why they waited. Anything is possible, of course.

The fact that the information isn't in any of the beta does glean a bit of light in the darkness though,IMO.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
by portrait mode are you simply referring to the "depth mode with blur"? The dual camera works in portrait, right?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Surprised that Apple is announcing vaporware. They didn't even do a live demo of it. I'm sure it will be fine but still, it's not like them. They really needed to show the benefit of the iPhone 7 Plus. No way they're doing it to keep it a secret. More likely that some people are in hot water for not having it done in time—especially given how important it is to push sales, considering they upped the price with the 7 Plus.

Reactions: travis333

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It really is odd to not have it at launch. For many people then this is the feature that is getting them to upgrade.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
by portrait mode are you simply referring to the "depth mode with blur"? The dual camera works in portrait, right?

Yes. They just pointed out during the announcement that there's a new 'Portrait' option when using the camera (in line with 'Pano', 'Square', 'Photo', 'Video', etc) that will do the depth of field on the Plus model.
[doublepost=1473277108][/doublepost]
Surprised that Apple is announcing vaporware.

Vaporware is something announced that never comes to pass.

This is coming. Not vaporware.

It's just not ready yet, but it's a big enough feature that they wanted to draw attention to it during the Phone announcement to give people extra information about what their phones will be able to do.

Reactions: ArkieBiker

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Vaporware is something announced that never comes to pass.

This is coming. Not vaporware.

It's just not ready yet, but it's a big enough feature that they wanted to draw attention to it during the Phone announcement to give people extra information about what their phones will be able to do.
I thought that vaporware was anything that is announced but isn't demoed and isn't available to use in any form but promised to be coming at some future date. Also you left out of my quote the part where I said I thought it was coming anyway, so ok then lol. This just isn't Apple's typical style. At least at WWDC they release beta software and the whole thing is about development and not actual products. But they're touting this as a primary feature of a flagship device that won't be available at launch. Just kinda weird and different for Apple is all I'm saying.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It was referred to as "portrait mode" in the keynote; it's Apple's/Schiller's nomenclature. That will be the label for the camera mode when the firmware is updated.

"Apple will release the phone with hardware-based 1x and 2x zoom, and a software synthesized zoom between the two. An improved digitally interpolated zoom mode handles images above 2x to 10x. A software update that will ship later will add a Portrait mode that creates photos that look like they came from much more expensive digital cameras." -Macworld​

Last edited:
Reactions: mattopotamus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.