Dual Camera Predictions/Wishlist for 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travis333, Jul 25, 2016.

1. travis333 macrumors member

I currently have a 6+ and am on the fence about getting a new 7+ in September. I'm a photo enthusiast, so I'm interested in the dual camera system and if it's truly "DSLR quality" (or close to) it could replace my RX100ii for my small P&S camera. I'm curious about how Apple will implement a dual camera system.

Will they...

- Use two lenses of different focal lengths, say 35mm and 75mm equivalent and make them "zoomable" where it uses a digital zoom (fancy cropping) at the focal lengths between the two lenses by combining the images of each focal length? Or would it just have a toggle between the two focal lengths?

- Or would each lens use the traditional 35mm focal length, but have one just for b&w and the other for color to make a richer photograph with more dynamic range? This is probably not as likely because it wouldn't be seen as much as a game changer to the general public.

- Ideally, I'd like to see a combination of the two, but I don't know if it would be possible.

Other thoughts...

- I'd like to have an option to pick long exposure shutter speeds, say 15, 50 and 60sec. They could also sell a mini tripod accessory to aid this. I think this would be hit for them to make low light photography easy for the general public. They could also have it automatically switch to a 2sec shutter delay in this mode to remove any camera shake when starting the shutter.

- A 10sec delay for group photos would also be a nobrainer if they have some type of tripod system.

- Speaking of tripod... if the 7 will truly be waterproof and they could make a nice tripod-type mounting system, they could potentially start competing with Gopro for some applications. This might be less likely since people may not want to have there $700 phone dangling over a surfboard, but it could be a possibility.

Any other thoughts or predictions?

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

3D-Touch to zoom would be pretty cool.

3. travis333 thread starter macrumors member

Well based on the latest rumor, it sounds like both sensors will be the same 35mm equivalent focal length. I like this idea since it's the most versatile FL. The "zooming" will be done by cropping which shouldn't look as bad because the the pixel count will now be effectively doubled.