Dual Core 2.0

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GermanyChris, Jun 30, 2012.

1. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Would you folks here consider a 2.0 dual core an upgrade to a DP.

It obviously uses PCIe, and a single processor so it should run cooler. I know the geekbench is about the same but what about real world, is it an upgrade?

Chris

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Better graphic cards (but fewer choice), max 16GB RAM, built-in AP antenna - yep, it's kind of upgrade.

3. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

4. thorns macrumors member

Not necessarily. Most PCIe G5s don't have the AP card built in, and this part is very expensive since you also need the scarce stand-off card. I'd say that the heat output of both versions is very similar, since the 970mp (dc) uses the same manufacturing process (90nm) as the 970fx, so it doesn't really matter that its a single chip.

5. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'm not much interested in air port i use ethernet and a wired keyboard and mouse..

6. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

I have the 2.0GHz Dual Processor G5 with 4GB Ram And a Radeon 9600XT it plays 720P (Sometimes 1080p at lower bit rate) on YouTube fine and is a very useable computer. But it Puts out a LOT of heat and in the summer it can be a killer. The DC 2.0GHz must be cooler:)

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

A good way to deal with heat is every 1 hour of use turn it off for 2 minutes and reboot

8. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have a DP with 8GB and a 6800..and it generates some heat even idle..

I'm feeling a little silly after selling the hackintosh and am going to go look at a Quad with 10GB and FX4500 this afternoon after work..

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Just grab the quad.

10. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I did..

and it's SEXY...your geekbench scores made me get it..

3700 for a PowerMac or 5200-5800 for a MP..

11. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

What geekbench scores? I did get 3700+ on the quad, but I felt that it was still on the low side. I am expecting to be at least 3800 for it.

It runs more fluid than a 2009 mac mini with a higher geekbench score though.

12. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thats the ones, there all in the 3700 range..

You're the first page of the GB browser for PM G5..

13. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I wish I could still push it more than that. Geekbench scores tells it is lacking the oomph! But in actual usage it tells a different story, what is the beef there?

Maybe the memory bus speed?

14. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It's no beef..

The 2.0 DC should have GB around 2000
    My 2.0 DP was 1800ish
    The C2D MB 7,1 was 3800

So I figured 3200-3500 is good for normal usage.

Your scores were all beat that so I was good to go. The Quadro and 10GB RAM was icing.

I think unmatched RAM is the culprit for you..Me I'm getting 3400 right now. My RAM is 2x2GB modules and the rest 1GB there's my first slow down. If I stumble across 16GB of matched I'll probably buy, or if I get tired of it I can buy 4GB packs of Corsair for 30 Euro just start replacing 4 GB at a time.

15. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

That only makes the fans run on hi for 10sec. when you turn it back on because of heat build up. I took the easy way out and just got a window a/c unit this year just turn it on hi and all is good:). GermanyChris made a good choice i bet that G5 Quad is Super fast and won't get that hot with its LCS:D

16. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have matched RAMs but its a mix, 4 x 2GB of OWCs, 2 x 2GBs of Microns and 2 x 1GBs of Nanya. Will it improve if I populate it all with OWCs?

When I get back home I will try it with just the OWCs and I will see which ones, causing the slowdown.

17. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Obviously I can't say for sure but, I'd re-run the bench with just the OWC sticks in it and see if memory speed or bandwidth improve..

----------

It seems to be quieter and and not as hot..it seems to run cooler than my old 1,1 did but then it's been in the apartment for 3 hrs. tops and I haven't played with one of the 40 layer PS files yet.

18. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Almost off topic, but PM users should consider a 1.1 mac pro with the built to order 2.00ghz cpu option and 4 gb of RAM. A lot of these were leased to institutions and sold off a year or ago. I have one and bought some xeon x5355 quad core cpus to upgrade, but in its present state runs so quietly and coolly, i've been reluctant to install them. It would run handbrake at about half the speed of a 2011 quad core mbp, but without getting its temps over 60 degrees C.

You should be able to grab one for around $5-600.

19. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Not so much here as far as price goes..

I've been down the 1,1 path it started as a 2.66 then to 5360's, then a MOBO and fans etc. out of a 3,1 etc. etc. etc. It was fun but it's past..

My hackintosh ran cooler than this and at 4.8Ghz couldhand brake a normal full length movie in about 3 minutes. It's Geekbench day to day was 17,400 pushed I got it to 18,000. I just didn't love/like the computer even though I spent months building it it was just another PC that ran OSX.

It was fun but now it's past..

This is fast enough to do what I need it to do, my DP 2.0 could HandBrake at 70-80fps I expect this'll do 120-140 and be more usable longer because of the more modern expansion.

20. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I could grab one too of those 1,1, but for me they are just PC on steroids with OSX. You can equate them to an "official hack". Or the hack performs better than half the cost. Something of those lines.

Tweaking these G5's are more fun, like tweaking and tinkering on an old reliable 'stang.

Upgrade carbs, upgrade shock, lower it, pimp the wheels, put supercharger on it, endless possibilities. For me it is a hobby more than anything else. And a hobby that has its rewards.

21. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Eh I don't think it's worth it, you get the option of a better GPU (the Radeon X1900), but you can already get quick X800s and up to a Geforce 7800 GS on the dual CPU models, besides, PPC Macs seem to be more CPU limited than GPU limited once you get a powerful GPU, plus by the time devs really got into multitasking and having SMP aware applications, they were starting to go Intel only anyway. Sucks.

22. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

23. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yep that's what I said, but I don't feel it's so much better than the X800 or NVIDIA 7800 GS that it's worth the money.

24. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

GB scores max out at 3714, even with just the OWC ram on the slots it would bench consistently at 3710.

I guess this is the most I can get from the hardware.

25. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'm Gonna try to be the 32GB test mule because I know my guy will take the sticks back if I don't get what I'm looking for..

So in the next month or so I'm going to put in 32GB of DDR2 800..I'm thinking the 4GB DIMMS should get a much improved bandwidth score.

now if I can just get the rear pull fans to spin at less than 300RPM I'll be good.