Dual Core and Dual CPU G5s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperKerem, Jul 17, 2013.

1. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I'm getting a bit confused here.
    Wasn't the only dual CPU G5 the Quad 2.5 one? And all the rest were dual/single CORE? I read on a forum that the G5s with 2 'G5' emblems on the processor cover were dual CPU, which means that the G5 processor covers (same SIZE as the one with two G5 emblems) BUT with only ONE G5 emblem are dual CORE. And the G5 processor cover that is half the size as the other ones with one emblem is the single core one. Is this right?

I thought that the G5 processor cover that is half the size as the other ones with one emblem on it is single, so I agree on that, but the G5 processor covers (same size as the one with two G5 emblems) with only ONE G5 emblem are LATE 2005 dual CORE/dual CPU (for the quad 2.5) and finally the G5s with 2 'G5' emblems on the processor cover were dual CORE 2003/2004/EARLY 2005 models.

I hope somebody understands what I'm trying to say!
    I would greatly appreciate a response explaining which is right.

Thanks in advance

2. wobegong Guest

Can't answer in detail but I can say my Dual CORE 2.3 has one G5 emblem.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

That link should help, it has specs for every Mac ever released.

The last group of Power Mac G5's released were 2.0 and 2.3 Dual Core machines (DC), plus a 2.5 Quad Core (QC).

All of the other machines were Dual Processor (DP) with the exception of the first gen machines which were 1.6 and 1.8 single processor.

The Dual Processor machines have two CPU's and two CPU covers.

4. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

So is the last group of dual core G5s faster than the previous dual processor G5s?

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

should be. :)

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Yes a little, they have double the level 2 cache, 1 mb compared to 512 kb, which helped them get slightly higher geekbench scores. (you can compare the geekbench scores on each individual machine on that page I linked to). I'm not an expert on G5 Power Macs, only bought one in the last year and gave it to my brother when he needed another Mac, so someone else could chime in with more info.

7. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

But isn't a whole second processor supposed to be a lot more powerful than just a second core? I don't understand...

8. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Actually is exactly the opposite. Cores ARE processors. The difference is that they're integrated in the same silicon chip, which in fact makes the communications between "processors" faster. Also, they're based in the 970MP instead of the 970FX, which has 1MB of L2 cache, double than the 970FX (512MB).

Dual processors should only be faster than dual cores if the dual cores share the same L2 cache (so actually they would have half the L2 cache per core, but this is not the case), are clocked at a higher speed or are processors from different generations/architectures.

9. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Ohhhh, thanks for the explanation!