Dual-core CPU in 2018 MBA vs Quad-core CPA in MB Pro 2018

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jesChexin, Nov 3, 2018.

1. jesChexin macrumors member

My 2011 11” MBA is dying (expanded battery, full 128gb HD) and I’m not sure I want to put the money into it to fix it at this age. I’m contemplating between purchasing the new 2018 13” MBA or the 2018 tb MB Pro, both upgraded with 16gb RAM and 512gb SSDs. Through my work purchase program the difference between the two would be approximately $350+. I really don’t care about the Touch Bar - I could take or leave it. My use case is admittedly light - I’ll be using this computer primarily for work when I need to remote Citrix in to a Windows based virtual machine for working on typical office type things (word, outlook, excel, web based applications) and also for lugging around with me at conferences for travel. On my own time, I’ll be using the laptop for backing up iOS devices, browsing the web, email, word, light gaming - basic tasks. I don’t think the weight difference between the two is that significant (I’ll compare them in person before purchasing), although longer battery life is always appreciated.

The main difference for me seems to be the dual-core vs quad-core cpu. My old MBA lasted me 7 years and, but-for the exploding battery and full HD, I’d probably still be using it. I value longevity. Is the quad-core worth the extra $350 in the MB Pro or should I save the money and go for the dual-core MBA? Admittedly, I don’t know which programs of mine would use multi-core vs single core, but the more I could future proof this machine and the longer I could use it, the better.

I value all of your opinions. Thanks!!

2. Kimcha macrumors regular

I think the performance of the MBA will be fine and you should wait for battery benchmarks.

The battery on the MBP is pretty crap (at least on the 2017 one where I get 4-7h at most.)

3. jesChexin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Kimcha! I would really appreciate a real-world 9-10h battery in a laptop for those days at a conference, on the road, or in the office when I don’t have easy access to a plug. Though I don’t want to be gimped at home for power either or being “penny wise and pound foolish.” Can’t wait for the reviews and real world results of this machine!

4. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

We have an Apple purchase program at work too but the difference between the TB MBPro and the MBA would be way more than $350. I would double check.

For $350 I’d get the quad core.

I use a dual core now and I have no issues. On occasion I do make it work hard, but when it’s working hard it doesn’t matter to me whether it takes 5 minutes or 10 minutes to do what it’s doing. So I’m not suggesting that you must have a dual core by any stretch, but for $350 between the MBA and the Quad Core MBPro I would pick the Pro in a heartbeat.