Dual Core I7 VS Quad Core I7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CSanchez, Oct 28, 2013.

1. CSanchez macrumors member

I am a casual user and just looking for a good computer that is going to last me a while.

After reading on here I have decided that I do not need 16 GB RAM lol

I am basically deciding whether I should get the 13 Inch Rmbp and upgrade to the dual core I7 or whether I should get the 15 inch Rmbp.

From my understanding even the entry level is better? Because Quad Core makes a significant difference?

Like I said I am a casual user and far far from a expert.

2. revalationist macrumors member

quadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcorequadcore

It's just so amazing. I remember when I had to close windows to get things to perform well.

3. glasshead13 macrumors member

no, you don't even need to upgrade the processor if you get a 13"

For a basic computer user any processor is going to be complete overkill for your tasks. The i5 will have absolutely no problem handling your web browsing, email, iTunes, etc.

That money can be better spent in other areas that will actually benefit you, like a bigger SSD for example. Maybe Apple Care.

Spending money on an upgraded processor is not going to get you any noticeable performance gains for what you do with a computer.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

You should probably tell what programs you are intending to use.
    Going with the 15" is also a question of money and if you prefer a big screen over portability.
    The 13" is very light and small and gets a bit better battery time.
    The 15" has great screen estate and better graphics + much faster cpu.

If you do graphic intensive things I would go with the 15".
    For everything else the 13" is better bang for the buck.
    Especially the 8gb/256 base model.

----------

Good point!
    I got the 8gb/256 and spent 390,- on insurance+warranty for the next 4years.
    I know I will always have a macbook that way and since my trackpad/keyboard froze four times already i am glad i did. (seems to be a mavericks bug though)

----------

Your post tempted me to get another warning for "frivolous post" for my reply to this:D

5. CSanchez thread starter macrumors member

I plan on getting the Apple Care,

and basically just Internet browsers, email, itunes, watch some movies and download and play music, make a few cd's, and word processor spreadsheet

nothing crazy at all

----------

I would get the entry level 15 inch rmb with the apple care, which ends up being like a few hundred more then the 13 inch with the maxed out processor.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

If you want to actualy make CDs then you have to buy the cmbp.
    Its the only one left with optical.

U must be rich to even think about a quad-core for this :)
    I would recommend the iPad Air for those things.
    Even though Word and Spreadsheets can get tricky there.

If you don't need the nice retina screen get a mba 11" on a special offer from a retailer.
    If you really want the retina you could get the 13" 4gb/128gb base model.
    If you wanna treat yourself get the 13" 8gb/256gb.
    And if you really really want a 15" screen get the base model there.

With your usage I wouldn't worry about CPUs or ram. just get what you like the most.

7. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Macbook Air in i5 configuration + Super Drive + Apple Care.

Problem solved.

8. CSanchez thread starter macrumors member

Lol I should have mentioned that I plan on getting the super drive and apple care on whichever one I get lol

9. donato Suspended

Pardon my ignorance because I don't know much about AppleCare. How do you get 4 years of coverage? I thought it was just three total years?

10. joec1101 macrumors 6502

You are correct - Apple Care is 3 years coverage from date of purchase. It basically extends the one year warranty for another 2 years. Maybe he has some other type of warranty (?)

11. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If you don't want the bigger screen I'd say get the 13", you don't need a quad core.

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

lmao !!

13. glasshead13 macrumors member

aren't you listening? We are trying to help you out here my friend. There is absolutely no point in getting the maxed out processor in the 13". You don't do anything with a computer that would take advantage of the upgraded processor. Spend the money elsewhere on things that will make a difference to you. The Air would be a much better machine for you, and would save you a lot of money. The 15" is overkill for anything you are using the computer for. Don't try to waste your money on things that you will never notice. A processor is not going to make the computer faster for the tasks that you do. I mean, if you are so set on buying an upgraded processor, what was really the point in even asking us?

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont have apple care. I have insurance + warranty from a retailer.
    This means I get my macbook replaced in case it breaks for any reason.