Dual core in 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robochris, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Robochris macrumors newbie

Just curious, why is the 13" MBP equipped with a dual core and not a quad core processor? Is it just a price point issue? How big is the performance difference between a 13" and quad core 15"?

I couldn't find any posts so I apologize if this is a double post.

2. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

some will say price, some will say heat/power usage, some will say because apple wants to screw you.

i'd say heat but what do i know.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Look for performance comparison for the model of processors, not the MBP itself.

4. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure there are multiple reasons for the 13" not being a quad core machine.

1. Price
    2. Quad core draws more power and the smaller chasis means smaller battery size.

As for its speed. For 90% of people the Dual Core i5's and i7's are going to be more than enough.

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro with a 2.3Ghz Dual core Core i5 CPU and the CPU in the early 2011 13" benchmarks higher than then entire line of 15" and 17" MacBook pros from 2010 which is the first time ever for a Macbook pro.

The core i5 chips really made the 13" a power house as previously they only put slightly faster Core 2 duos in each new model every year and performance gains were minimal but with the Core i5 it doubled the previous year in speed.

As I said, i have a 2011 MBP 13" with 16GB of Ram and a 256GB SSD and their is nothing it can't do besides intensive games and thats just because of the GPU.

5. Robochris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. They all make good points. Now the delimma of picking one. I'm upgrading from a white 2007 MacBook.

6. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Great machine, just wait a little longer as there are external GPU's using TB ports on the horizon, then you will have the best of both worlds!!

7. igiboi macrumors member

This is what I'm waiting for the ill snap the mbp on a monitor