dual core portables?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by warmplace, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. warmplace macrumors newbie

    Jul 18, 2005
    What is the likelihood that the next rev of ibooks and/or powerbooks will carry a g4 dual core processor and apple is waiting until Sept. to show them off in Paris ? The dual core g4 has been out for a while now if I remember correctly and the ibook is pushing 10 month with no change? It seems the powerbook is now maxed out in processor speed so doesn't seem like it would be the next step? :)
  2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601


    May 29, 2005
    i think that may be possible at paris, because Steve did say they still have more to come in the pipleine
  3. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    I hope they update the PowerBook before Paris so that I can have my new laptop before Cram and Jam is over. I am waiting till September, If not I will get the current Rev D because they are good enough for me. I don't see dual core coming out though. It will probably be the Power PC 7448 which is on a 200 MHz bus and has more cache then the current 7447.
  4. Hattig macrumors 65816

    Jan 3, 2003
    London, UK
    I think that the iBook will be soon (within a week if we are lucky) and be single core, but a 7448.

    The PowerBooks will be at or the week before Paris. If they are a week before then they'll be 7448s, if it is at Paris then there is a chance of them being dual-core PowerPCs. However I reckon that the PowerBook will also get updated soon (in July) and come January dual-core G4 will be incorporated into the PowerBook (and the iBook will go Intel in March or so). This fits into the low-end moving to Intel before the high-end, and Apple wanting to have the first dual-core laptop by months (ignoring desktop dual-cores crowbarred into a laptop, but AMD could beat Apple to the proper dual-core laptop still).
  5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    The Powerbooks should be updated like you said in late July/early August and then see another revision in early 06.
  6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601


    Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    In one word: no
    Here is why:

    1) No dual core cpu is released yet
    2) It would mean a re-design of the mainboard
    3) Engineering team is working on Intel stuff
  7. EGT macrumors 68000


    Sep 4, 2003
    I hope you are right. I'd rather see apple concentrating on getting these Intel 'books out the door instead of "wasting time" with older CPUs
  8. joecool85 macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    Well, you're right on one thing, I'm sure they are working on Intel 'books by now. However, if there is a dualcore PB or iBook coming, it has already be designed/engineered.
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I agree, Apple has dual-core 'Books locked up waiting to release them when we least expect them to do so (next tuesday ;) ).
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603


    Jul 17, 2004
    Always next Tuesday... :(

Share This Page