Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Considering that you may have the new machine for 4 or more years, I doubt that whatever comes out at the next Mac World may justify your wait.

Remember if you wait, you are speculating, based on rumor, that a Dual core will be here. I don't know if the risk, as well as the small increase in performance ( if any, as I don't know what you use your machine for ) will be worth it.

You decide, but I would buy now if needed. You can always ebay the new machine if something way better comes along.

Max.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Dual 2.5 G5 Will Likely Be The Top Until Next Spring At Least

wdlove said:
Thank you Max, so your not anticipating anything better at MWSF?

My current Power Mac G4 Dual 450 will be 4 years old September 1st.

My wife has been encouraging me to purchase, she is afraid that my Mac will quit soon. I'm ambivalent, when I hear about the dual core.
Dual 2.5 G5 Will Likely Be The Top Until Next Spring At Least.

Apple's priority is now getting the G5 PowerBook Out The Door early next year after getting the G5 iMac going in September.

So MWSF Jan 05 is likely to be the PowerBook G5 Premiere Event.

You missed the window after the new lineup was announced when you could get a refurbished original Dual 2 for $1999. :(

And why do you need a dual core G5?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
wdlove said:
My current Power Mac G4 Dual 450 will be 4 years old September 1st.

My wife has been encouraging me to purchase, she is afraid that my Mac will quit soon. I'm ambivalent, when I hear about the dual core.

Your wife lets you spend money on something YOU actually want?
Cool!

:)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
FFTT said:
Your wife lets you spend money on something YOU actually want?
Cool!
:)

Aren't most wife's very supportive?

From the above posts it sounds as though it could be a long wait for the next upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.