Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anotherjoey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Okay everyone. I will hopefully be ordering a new Mac Mini tonight after the event. Need help deciding what to get for my uses though. Here's what the Mac Mini will be used for:

- Basically only as a media-center, always plugged in to my TV to play 1080p movies, 720p tv-shows and play music through XBMC.

What would be the best? Dual-Core with 8 GB ram or Quad-Core with 4 GB ram? I'm not really sure what the differences in the processors would do for my uses. Would I notice a difference with the Quad-Core? Or is it the RAM that will make the difference?

Thanks!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
For those purposes, you don't need a quad core. Heck, a 2009 mini will do what you need.

anotherjoey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Haha, oh? If that's true my wallet would appreciate that... I've been waiting for this version mainly due to USB 3.0 too, because I will have 2 external-drives plugged in constantly.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I will go....

With the QuadCore. HD video requires a bit of decoding, so, if more raw processing power is available, better. Still better if the software playing the media is optimized for multiple cores.Hope the new hardware get USB 3.0 :):apple:

But still agrees with the poster....a 2009 mini can do it

Exit34

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question.

I would like to use the Mac Mini as a media center as well, always connected to the TV. I would mainly use XBMC along with their video add-ons. Currently I have this installed on my 2010 MBP.

On the Pro, many of the higher quality videos I play from a video add-on source within XBMC do not play well and the video chokes and required buffering. (720 and 1080)

I am hoping the more powerful new Mini's being released today will solve this buffering issue I am having through these 3rd party video add-ons.

Any suggestions or insight into what my expected results will be if I were to purchase one of the new mini's being released today?

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question.

I would like to use the Mac Mini as a media center as well, always connected to the TV. I would mainly use XBMC along with their video add-ons. Currently I have this installed on my 2010 MBP.

On the Pro, many of the higher quality videos I play from a video add-on source within XBMC do not play well and the video chokes and required buffering. (720 and 1080)

I am hoping the more powerful new Mini's being released today will solve this buffering issue I am having through these 3rd party video add-ons.

Any suggestions or insight into what my expected results will be if I were to purchase one of the new mini's being released today?

You have a software or hard drive issue. Your CPU is perfectly capable.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
the only reason I can see for a better processor as well as max ram is if you are going to be doing encoding on the machine as well as server duties. if you wont be encoding anything, then yeah, an older mini will do so the lower proesser and more ram issue is the way to go.

anotherjoey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for the input! Ordered the new 2012 base-model but will upgrade to 8 GB ram as soon as I get it, which should be October 29th :D

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Even though the new base mini is more than powerful enough to meet my needs for a basic office computer (replacing an 8 year old dual G5 PowerMac), I'm considering getting the mid-model since it is now a quad-core i7, mostly so that it will last a couple years longer for me.

It is definitely a much more powerful computer, and I like to keep my computers in use for as long as possible. I'm still running two G4's now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.