Dual CPU in iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Jul 22, 2010.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Hi there,
    What would happen if I get two iMac G3 processors and soldered them together?
    Would it make it a dual core? If you can't solder them how would you use two processors together?
    Thanks,
    John.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Even if you had magical hands that could solder a CPU without melting or otherwise damaging it, this wouldn't work. To run dual CPUs requires a considerable amount of specialized communication between the two chips. The iMac motherboard doesn't include such circuitry and logic, and indeed I don't think the G3 chip itself is even capable of running in a dual-processor configuration--the necessary foundation isn't there. That capability wasn't added until the G4.

3. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Could I put a dual core intel inside it?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could try, but it won't work, due to the different architecture.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I would love to see you try, LOVE.

It won't work, the G3 and intel processors are 2 completely different architectures.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm going to assume this is a joke now, but assuming you're serious and your goal is to do a modding project to get a G3 iMac to be a usable modern machine:

What you'd actually want to do is buy a Mac Mini and a ~15" LCD screen with the approximate dimensions of the iMac's screen, then gut the iMac G3 and cobble it together in the iMac case. Alternately you could probably do the same with a 14" G4 iBook, 13" MacBook, or maybe a 15" G4 PowerBook or MBP. Depending on the machine you start with, you could end up with a relatively modern Intel CPU in there.

Any of which would be expensive and require considerable skill at dismantling and reassembling delicate electronics without breaking them. It's been done before:

http://www.macmod.com/internal-mods/imac/414-the-eyemac-g3-lcd

Incidentally, don't get carried away poking around inside something with a CRT and kill yourself--CRTs can store enough charge at very high voltage to easily kill a human, even if they've been off for a very long time.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It is called a powerpc imac for a reason. Intel and PPC use a completely different architecture, rendering the two incompatible with eachother.

8. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

Haha this thread is irrelevant at all.
    G3 is obsolete, give it up man.

9. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

2 Questions:

1. How can a computer thats just 8 years old be obsolete? That means when I'm 23 my new macbook pro will be obsolete! Whatever...

2. If it's obsolete why are you on the PPC section?

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The white G3 iMac was one of the best designed machines Apple has ever made in my opinion, if OP (in another thread) want's to use the case design to house a better machine, it's not up to anyone to say that just because the G3 is old, the project should be scrapped.

11. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I have just bought the white 600Mhz of ebay for £26 and will be picking it up from Cambridge on Monday! I also have the blue 350 Mhz but the plastic thing behind the front fascia has broken - does anybody have one I could buy?
    Thanks,
    John.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ahhh nice, the white ones were beautiful designs, I have a blue iMac G3 sitting up in my loft, haven't had a use for it, used to be my mums Mac but I gave her my C2D one. I'd be more than happy to sell it to you if you're UK based?

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Doesn't the iMac G3 has an ADC connector inside to connect the Monitor? And a G4,G5 or Intel Mac Mini without it's case should fit in there somehow instead of the logic board assembly and the power supply. Just use a DisplayPort-to-ADC adapter, and some USB externders and glue them in place where the logic board assembly had theirs.

14. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Hi there,
    Thankyou very much!
    I would love to buy it off you - is it the full computer or just the plastic part? Which ever it is I am interested - I am UK based. How much would you sell it for?
    Thanks,
    John.

(ps. how to you get your avatar on your posts?)

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It is the full computer, well they sell for about £20 and upwards, so call it £15? Dunno how much postage will be, but it'll probably be about £10, as the G3s are so large and heavy. I would be selling it through ebay, but I'll send you the link to buy it instantly on a buy it now.

You can only have an avatar after about 500 posts I believe.

16. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

£15? Not bad! Where about do you live - I might be able to pick it up from you. Whats the spec?
    Thanks,
    John.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm from south Somerset, but I'll be travelling back to Portsmouth on Sunday, if that's closer?

I can't remember the spec off the top of my head, but I believe its a 400mhz one like the one you have, I'll go check a bit later, it's up in the attic behind a few boxes :p

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

A computer isn't "just" 8 years old... it's ancient ;)

Kidding aside, if you want to know how an 8 year old computer is obsolete, try doing anything made for a modern computer. Try installing software that was made in the past year or two, games that were made even in the last 5 years, anything to do with Flash online, etc. You'll find your computer can't do any of those things, or at least can't do them well.

Not saying you shouldn't use your computer, but it's definitely obsolete. They still work and as long as you're not doing anything that requires the increased power (and everything else) of modern machines, you'll be set!

Also, yes your MBP will be obsolete in 8 years... doesn't preclude you from using it, but it'll be obsolete.

19. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You're irrelevant..

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Haha, fantastic. Couldn't agree more.

21. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

just stupid that you need a 3ghz box to surf the web and do office crap... thats just stupid.:apple:

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

23. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Same here. SD Flash videos now work fine due to Flash 10.1 too...

24. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Heh... some of us still call a 300Mhz G3 iBook useable... I even use Final Cut Pro on it xD

25. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Whatever...

Whatever...

Whatever...

Whatever...