Dual D-Link Routers or will one do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tapple, Apr 17, 2009.

1. tapple macrumors newbie

I'm in the process of returning 'home' to apple units. Right now I have a Dell Dimension pc connected to a D-Link DWL-925 (AirPlus XtremeG) router and a card in an Inspiron laptop along with a hp printer working off the system. The router (+Motorola modem via Wave Broadband) have worked without error for several years.

Within the last month we've purchased an iMac and macbook...and a new D-Link Xtreme N Wireless Router, Qos..802.11n unit (based pretty much--right or wrong--on comments in MacForums vis-a-vis the airport extreme unit.)

I'm puzzled??

1. Do I get/attach a splitter cable to the modem and try to run both D-Link routers (assuming this is possible without fritzing-up whatever is now working? Or

2. If I plug the iMac (or Dimension PC) into the new D-Link Xtreme router will I need a new card for the Inspiron laptop for it to function in a wireless mode? (Or)

3. Please straighten me out re either keeping the two mini-network systems separate or building a single network...

I'm sure I've probably left some critical "in front of my eyes" information out of these remarks..please don't beat me up too badly if I have.

All help will be more than appreciated...ted

2. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

I'm pretty sure you should just replace the old wireless router with the new one. It should support 802.11 B/G/N so the older laptop will still be able to connect.

Unless you want two wireless networks for some reason...

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

You can just replace the router with your new one.

However the laptop will only connect as a standard 802.11g device and you won't have any extra benefit from the AirPlus XtremeG wireless laptop adapter card.

4. tapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Dual D-Link Routers or will one do?

My thanks to both jclardy and iBecks: the new router will be just fine.

Kinda of a related Q. Time machine Back-up/Storage:

Does it make sense to go with the Costco 1.5 TB Seagate Free Agent and reformat it ($109)--should be doable...or invest ($180 or so) in Seagate's Mac-Silver ST315005FJA105-RK?

[I think both have Firewire 800/400 capability should I decide to use either.]

5. iBecks macrumors 6502

I have a Seagate Freeagent and was more than happy with it. My router went bang and I ended up buying a Time Capsule so I use that now for Time Machine and it's very convenient, especially for laptop users.