Dual Dell 2408WFP with Mac Pro: what cables?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MauiBrah, Mar 16, 2010.

1. MauiBrah macrumors newbie

I have 2 x 24 inch Dell 2408WFP monitors and would like to hook them up to a Mac Pro I am about to buy.

Mac Pro is the 2.26 8-core
    with NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB

The dell 2408WFP have DVI ports and HDMI.

An Apple chat sale peerson said there was no cable that apple supplies that works for me. IS he mistaken?

What cables do I need to make both monitors work with the Mac Pro?

Thank you in advance!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you need a DVI spliiter but that's not exactly a real good option. You can buy a second NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 and then run both displays.

Not sure if you can go DVI to VGA on that card or with that display with any success but I have a strange feeling that you can as I have done similar with other dell displays.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Not quite right.

Card is already dual monitor capable -- you dont need another card.

You use the DVI port on the card for one, and you should already have that cable.

Then you will need a mini Display Port to DVI cable, monoprice has them for $12

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024604&p_id=6000&seq=1&format=2

A better question might be -- do you need a Macpro? And do you need it right now? With i7 iMacs being faster than Macpros and new Macpros due soon, this might not be the best time to buy? -- unless you absolutely need it...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Well I think I posted with a fair level of uncertainty with that. It wasn't as matter of fact as I normally would be. ;) I did miss the DP connection. So in fact, Apple was lying.

5. MauiBrah thread starter macrumors newbie

to wait or not to wait...

Thanks for the reply, Badger. That breaks the cable dilemma down for me...

I posted this in the "hexacore core coming out this Tuesday?" string and it answers your question:

"I feel for us gullible ones glued to rumor forums and blogs, getting our hopes up only to have them dashed.

For my purposes: video editing, CS4, dual screen, always-on computer to access files when I'm abroad, etc... the 8-core 2.26 with 16GB of RAM would be PLENTY fast for me.

My only questions on whether to wait or not are:

1. is Blueray Burner a likelihood (I want to offer BR as an option for the wedding videos I shoot/ edit)?
    2. Is HDMI a possibility?
    3. Is a 6-core "turbo-boosted" (ohhh God, I am a slave to the marketing lingo) going to give me huge decrease in rendering times over the 2.26 8-core?

If the peeps "in the know" around here think the probability of all the above questions are "slim to none" then I swear, I will whip out my Amex right now and get the "old" 8-core."

I just figure, if I can get an 8-core for a good price now (Amazon.com for under 3k), then will I not be well-off?

I'm totally open to being coached on this, so Badger, what advice do you have for me?

S

6. zaphoyd macrumors regular

Mdp -> Dp

Doesn't the 2408WFP have a native displayport connector? The one listed here does:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitor...p/4507-3174_7-32886455.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

Monoprice has a mini displayport to displayport cable for $6. The cable is much thinner and lighter than the clunky DVI cables and in theory will support advanced displayport features in the future (usb/card reader/audio/video daisy chain over the displayport wire) if Apple implements them.

7. MauiBrah thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you're right it does have a display port.

So, it looks like I need this cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Sorry not realizing the 2408 had a native display port -- but either solution will work fine.

1) Odds are there wont be any bluray video burning natively, but you can do that now with add ons:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/BDR205BKMPTP/

2) Not sure what HDMI brings to the table, you can buy a mini Display port to HDMI cable if you want such a thing.

3) yes -- especially if you are shooting RAW.

My advice: if you have been waiting this long, another little bit wont hurt. Why buy at the end of the product cycle when the new one is so close at hand? Unless whatever you are using right now just died, then wait.

9. MauiBrah thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks badger... your words probably saved me from pulling the trigger on something I'd come to loathe once the latest and greatest came out.

But I gotta admit, I'm at the end of my rope waiting! :mad:

Much Aloha,
    MauiBrah

10. MauiBrah thread starter macrumors newbie

And you are referencing the 6-core here, right? You're not talking about the 12.

The 6-core with "turbo boost" will cut down on rendering times versus the 8-core?

Interesting. Why is that?